1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Finished "The Steel Remains" and I can't really say I was disapointed but it seems that the fears I had about the book was well founded. Morgan is trying too hard, he seems to concsiously try to shock the reader at times instead of letting things happen and appear "naturally" in the story. He kinda reminds me of Bakker there, the grittyness feels forced. It is still a good book but just not a great one. Never thought I would write this but I found it too gratuitious.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"On the Wings of Mercury" by Lorraine Moller.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Finally on the last book of the Gotrek and Felix Omnibus, Daemon Slayer. Skaven Slayer proved to be a really good read so I'm looking forward to this. I've decided to put my Dreamsongs read on hold until I've finished this, but I'm still reading the Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Just finished "White Knight" by Butcher last night -- I'm plowing through everything he's every written in his Dresdenverse as fast as the library can get them to me. It's a really fun series that I heartily recommend.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

am about to start Gai-jin by James Clavell. Shogun is one of my favorite books of all time so I've got high hopes

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier, by Joseph Plumb Martin.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Rereading Mistborn (and then Well of Ascension) so that I can have it all fresh in my memory for B. Sanderson's finale - Hero of the Ages.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading "The Skewed throne" trilogy by Joshua Palmatieri, just finished the first one and it was ok. Nothing great but quite decent contemporary fantasy and like most of those some originality in it. Didn't blow me away but have no regrets in buying the entire trilogy in one go.

9. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Re-reading Iron Angel by Alan Campbell.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Finished Gotrek & Felix, back onto Dreamsongs.

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Threshold- By Sara Dougless.
    I have to say this was her worst book by a long shot, and it was really a trial to finish reading it.

12. joacqin

Media:
    Seeing as I have never been able to finish any Sara Douglass book due to them sucking so much that must be very bad indeed.

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've been reading through the Discworld books in the other they were released. Started Pyramids a couple of days ago, loving them so far :)

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Good choice of series CJ! The books do get formulaic eventually, but that makes the gems among them stand out even better. You'll notice the books really start to shine after Reaper Man.

Speaking of Discworld I started The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents. It's good fun.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I read that years ago, before i'd even heard of Terry Pratchett.

Also, I should point out: I haven't JUST heard of Discworld, i've read The Colour of Magic loads of times and it's only fairly recently that i've started to pick up more of the series. I own about... 15 of them now? So i've got quite a while until I have to buy more :)

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Got them all except eric. Sometimes I read them at work an burst out in laughter. They look at me and do not understand. I am amazed at the number of people for whom a book is a mountain.

17. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I have 29 books of the series as well as The "Streets of Ankh-Morpork: A Discworld Mapp" and "The Art of The Discworld".

Additionally my copy of The Color of Magic is a signed edition. :)

18. Ziad

Media:
    I would kill for a signed edition of Hogfather, my favourite one until now.

In other news I started Good Omens yesterday and read about 2/3rd of the way through. Great book - I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman but I'm assuming the darker side of the book is his balancing to Pratchett's usual humour. Some of the humour reminds me of Douglas Adams, specifically the Dirk Gently books, and it stands very well to the comparison.

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Now about half-way through 'Wolfblade' by Jennifer Fallon. So far it has been looking good. I'm expecting things to start moving more rapidly soon.

20. Ziad

Media:
    CJ's posts kicked me fully into Pratchett mode again. I finished Good Omens yesterday and started Night Watch. Halfway through it now and loving it, Vimes is one of the most interesting characters on the Discworld.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.