1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Took a break from The Gotrek and Felix Omnibus to read The Hedge Knight by G R R Martin from his Dreamsongs. I'm dying to read more - need to get my hands on the next one, I think it's called The Sworn Sword or something (need to check) then I'll just have to wait patiently for A Dance With Dragons.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Taking a break from His Dark Materials. Read Haldeman's The Accidental Time Machine, which was good but not great. Sort of like everything else the guy has written since the Forever War. Now halfway through Robin McKinley's Dragonhaven, which is certainly at least the second-best young adult novel I've read.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Confessor was, unsurprisingly, bad. Really bad in that sort of disappointing "you really couldn't come up with a better idea than THAT??!!" way.

I mean, seriously, we're sending all of you big bad Order types to another world where there isn't any magic and you'll be free to sink into a miasma of filth and religion for 1000 years -- that's it? With the implication, of course, that it's this world that we're talking about. And the whole, pull a rabbit out of the hat bit where the after-created confessor bit was just a fake, but the after-created sword of truth bit was the real deal. And I also thought the whole "witch woman" schtick was just old. Hmmm - I need to fix something, or arrange for something to happen and it really won't work in the present power structure and relative magic strength system I've set up -- I know, I'll use a "witch woman", perfect. I could go on and on, but I'm done with this crap.

Blah. What a terrible ending to a rapidly degenerating series that I thought had a bit of real promise at one point or another.

(Still not reading any more Jordan by the way.)

Now I am re-reading The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook because I want some good sci-fi to clear away that nasty crap Goodkind published.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The Fractured Sky by Thomas M. Reid
    It's a Forgotten Realms book. The ending stunned me

by the end Helm is dead and Mystra may be joining him. Must be an attempt to move into the 4ed rule set...

6. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Overcoming Law by Richard Posner
    The Economic Analysis of Law by Richard Posner

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Slightly off-topic... but for one of my classes I have the option of writing about Voltaire's Candide, Engel and Marx's Communist Manifesto, or Wiesel's Night. Now, I've read Night and scanned much of the Communist Manifesto before, but I've never even come close to reading Candide. Has anyone here read it, and if so, do you think it is worth reading?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I have read and thought it to be quite enjoyable. Seeing as I have had a hard time enjoying much of the "classical" literature I have read I guess that is a fairly good grade.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. One of the better Discworld books IMHO.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've just finished reading Clockwork Orange (a real horrorshow of a book) and, caught with no books to read at the hospital, ran down to the bookshop and bought Bill Bryson's Shakespeare.

Not bad so far.

11. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    'The Deed Of Paksennarion' AGAIN! It's one of my favourites. Really a book you can escape with.

Also 'Perelandra' The second book in C.S. Lewis' Sci-Fi trilogy. It's hard going but a good read.

BTW, is it just me that gets C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll mixed up? :)

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr.

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Thanks, Joacqin.

I do have to read them all, I just want to delve deeper into the book that promotes that, and is enjoyable.

14. Ziad

Media:
    Terry Pratchett's The last hero. The book itself is not one of his great ones, but I got the hardcover edition from the library, illustrated by Paul Kidby (in colour!), and the artwork is just amazing. There are illustrations of some of the Discworld's major characters, including Rincewind, Lord Vetinari, Carrot, Death and, my personal favourite, the Death of Rats, with a small kitten toying with its tail. It's brilliant :D

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've finished Bryson's Shakespeare. It's okay, not terribly scholarly (we need footnotes!), but it's a sensible, essential reading for anyone who wishes to know about Shakey and who doesn't want to get into the crazy, crazy, crazy scholarly debates that exist about him. Certainly if more people read it they would stop harping on about rubbishy theories that Shakespeare was not Shakespeare.

This afternoon my books on Japanese history should arrive - about 7 books in all. Joy! I'm not even sure which one to start reading first. After that I might get started on the Walsingham book that's been sitting on my shelf for a while.

16. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm about to finish Robin Hobb's Fool trilogy and am looking to start something new. I'm think about starting on either Erikson's or Feist's books - can anyone guide me on this?

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Hi, Spelly. Nice to see ya again. :) Erikson is way better than Feist. Feist is OK, but nothing like Erikson. The last book I read by Feist was _Into A Dark Realm_ and I lost interest after that one. But the place to start is with _Gardens of the Moon_. Good stuff.

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hi Chandos :) Nice to see you too! Thanks -- I've ordered Gardens of the Moon, Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice -- that should hold me for awhile. I've heard great things about Erikson - looking forward to starting on this series.

19. Ziad

Media:
    Speaking of Feist, I read Flight of the Nighthawks yesterday. I thought it was light-years better than the Conclave of Shadows books, on par with his earlier good books. Good political intrigue, multiple plot threads, and Pug, Nakor and Miranda actually do something in this one.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just could not get into Nighthawks that much. I liked it enough to follow-up with Dark Realm, but I just lost interest after that one. Still, you may like that one was well, since you liked Nighthawks. Conclave is the prelude story to Nighthawks; Nighthawks is really a continuation of the same story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.