1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, yes, a bunch of his stuff is OOP. Some of it is being brought back into print at the moment, however.

Nightshade is reprinting all the Dread Empire stuff. Roc is reprinting the Garret PI books (although it looks as though they're doing two per year, so figure that'll take a while as the fifth is coming out in December). Tor is collecting the Black Company stuff into omnibususesesess, of which the first two have been released. I presume a third will follow, but since I already have the books, I haven't been paying attention and don't know for sure.

Oh, Night Shade is also reprinting some of his earlier stuff: The Dragon Never Sleeps (really good, standalone. Space. Explosions.) and Passage at Arms (even better, standalone. Space. Das Boot.) are already out and some other stuff will be released in '09.

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @joacqin: Use the force of the library. If you jut want to read them and not own them. You can do an inter-library loan for them and if the rates are the same as they are in here it'll cost you around from 8 to 25€. You can ask about the cost just by calling your local libary just by calling them.

Here's a useful link how to locate books from libraries around the globe: Worldcat

The White Rose by Glen Cook, for instance can be found from Bulgaria and UK. Making a inter-library loan for it in Finland would cost 25€ if it comes from UK, that is). If it's a must-read, then it's a reasonable price if it's not locatable in other ways. It'll take from two to three weeks to get the book into your hands that way.

Currently I'm reading The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy, gentleman by Laurence Sterne

Good stuff, such language! :D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  3. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Tristram...that reminds me! I'm reading The Sin War by Richard A. Knaak. It's a Diablo novel :D

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Set the Seas on Fire - Chris Roberson

Only a couple chapters in, but I'm liking it so far. Her (his?) Majesty's Navy for the win!

5. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    The Art of War, Sun Tzu...first time even. Rather impressive:D

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Blood Noir by Laurell K. Hamilton

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    "An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942 - 1943" by Rick Atkinson. It is an extremely well written and interesting book.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Set the Seas on Fire and it was mostly good, though the ending was pretty underwhelming.

And then I made the mistake of trying out urban fantasy/paranormal romance again. Red (Jordan Summers) and Magic to the Bone (Devon Monk) were both thoroughly mediocre. Actually, Red is closer to poor. The worldbuilding is nonsensical. On the plus side, Marjorie Liu's Iron Hunt was fun, if a bit light on substance.

Now reading Glen Cook's Dread Brass Shadows. Ah. Much better.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just finished Pages of Pain. It was kind of blah to tell the truth. I think the most interesting character by far was Kharfur the Tanar'ri. Imagine that, having a great tanar'ri in your adventuring party, heh.

10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War, by Donald McCaig. I'm not usually a fan of Civil War novels, but a friend talked me into reading this one, and it was impressive. Pretty solid historical basis, as far as I can tell.

Also Terrier (The Legend of Beka Cooper, Book 1), by Tamora Pierce. A fascinating meld of her Tortall world setting with a police procedural. A bit prim as one would expect of a book marketed to the younger set but extremely well written. This is an author who gets better over time, I think.

11. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

The Orc King by R.A. Salvator

12. revmaf

Dinsdale, I read this a couple of years ago and agree it is a great book.

OK, I know this is a weird one, but I am now reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow. It is set as a series of letters and telegrams in the months just after the end of World War II, exchanged among an English author, her friends and not-so-friends in England, and a group of Guernsey residents who tell the story of the German occupation of their island from a unique point of view - and also wander off into discourses about books and reading. I know, sounds duller than dishwasher, but I can't seem to put it down.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Re-reading Breaking darn by Stephenie Meyer

14. revmaf

Finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow. I rather enjoyed it though it is hard to categorize. Kind of a girl book more than a boy book, stereotyping though that may be. But I did enjoy it, even if the ending was pretty obvious more than halfway from the end.

15. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The Death of Ivan Ilych and The Kreutzer Sonata, both by Leo Tolstoy.

edit 12/29/08: Now moving on to reading Augustine: A New Biography by James J. O'donnell, alongside The Confessions by St. Augustine himself.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  16. revmaf

The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross. I've read it before but I was in a state of funk at the time. This time around it's both funny and fun. Sendup of horror, spy novels, cultural icons, and mathematics, all at once. Oh, yes, and above all of government bureaucracy, if that's not too redundant a phrase. ;)

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm about to start Confessor because, apparently, I'm feeling masochistic and looking for bad prose, a stale storyline, and an Ayn Rand wannabe. (Actually, it's because I read all the other damned books and I'm not going to stop with one to go, unlike the Jordan books that I stopped 6 or 7 years ago when I realized that there was no movement for 200 pages.)

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Kinda reading Anthony Kiedis' book Scar Tissue. Fairly entertaining I guess, and I'm not even that big (I like 'em, just not love I guess) on the 'Peppers.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Making my way, fairly slowly, through His Dark Materials. Solid so far.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A DMC, if you torture yourself with finishing Goodkind (I did as well although mostly for laughs) you really should pick up Jordan again. Read them, skip the boring part it is easy to spot a pointless Jordan chapter (it usually have lots of women in it). WoT is lightyears better than SoT despite getting bogged down but the last one Jordan wrote was on par with his early ones and a pretty decent author is finishing off the very last one.

If you give Goodkind the courtesy of finishing his work I really think you should give Jordan the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.