1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Finished Horus Rising and plan to move onto False Gods in a couple of days.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Homeward Bounders (thanks to Kilty and everyone else who helped me find it!)

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Atlantic Slave Trade- Edited by: David Northrup

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers- Mary Roach

Mistress of the Art of Death- Ariana Franklin

All of these are for some class or another.

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

@ChickenIsGood, I really liked Mistress of the Art of Death, also the recent sequel The Serpent's Tale.

I am now reading H.P. Lovecraft, the American Library collection of his stories called "Tales." Some of these, the wider known ones, I read a long time ago; it's interesting to re-read them in the context of the lesser known ones. This edition also has some notes clarifying some of his more obscure references as well as a rather lengthy chronology of the author's life that supplies some probably sources for some of his ideas. Enjoyable.

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ants At Work: How An Instect Society Is Organized by Deborah Gordon

A good read. Could dwell more into the topic of complexity arising from a few simple set of rules concerning individual organisms, but I that subject deserves a lot more of studies and several publications...

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just started Ken Follett: The Pillars of the Earth. I got it for Christmas last year so I thought I ought to read it before December...

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished the first Black Company book by Glen Cook. Every bit as good as it was claimed. Looking forward to getting my grubby little hands on the next ones. It is Malazan light from the 80s.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I've been slooooowly making my way through The Blade Itself. About 2/5 through it after two weeks; it just don't interest me too much.

Though I'm reliably informed that the 2nd and 3rd books 'subvert' the first, so I'll persevere. Eventually.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, I was hooked immediately. It is well worth finishing the trilogy though, the ending is very unusual is probably not the best world but it was the only one I could come up with.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Tyyppiteoria by Laura Saari

A book about a woman past 30 who tries to get laid in Tampere and doesn't just manage. Funny.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    So after two weeks of trying to make it through The Blade Itself, I read the remaining 300 pages in one sitting yesterday.

Yeah, I don't what happened there. Good, but not great.

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The Women's Room by Marilyn French

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The last continent was, as Merlanni said, not the best Discworld book. Still good fun. Rincewind's antics are starting to get old but the wizards are a great deal of fun and having the Librarian in the spotlight is always a good laugh.

I also managed to read Carpe Jugulum while on the trains (3 of them) yesterday and today. Again not the best witches book but these tend to be very good anyway and this one did not disappoint in this respect. Watching Granny's ingenuity is always fun, and having Magrat rejoin the gang was good.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Started Before They Are Hanged; like it more than I did the Blade Itself.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Finished reading the Legacy of the Force books. Ok star wars books, really. With a few surprising deaths here and there. Now I am eagerly awaiting The Gypsy Morph, by Terry Brooks.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Before They Are Hanged; I liked it.

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Life: User's Manual by Georges Perec

Its' wonderful, I love it. Heartily recommend to everyone.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In Europe by Geert Mak. Extremely interesting, particularly since I´ve been visiting many of the places he wrote about in the past 4 months. It amazes me all the f´d up things that people do to each other.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just started the Steven Eriksson books. Promising so far.

20. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Matter by Iain M. Banks
    Suspended State: Newfoundland Before Canada by Gene Long
    (and still reading Life: User's Manual...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.