1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just finished Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer. I can see why Robert Smith felt compelled to write three songs about it - it's fantastic. I'm usually disappointed when I read a children's book because what passes for amazing writing as a child is generally pretty poor when viewed with experience of books aimed at adults. This, however, is easily on par with basically anything else I've read. It's not written down to children, it just keeps a clear style that flows instead of getting bogged down in the language.

But I should stop gushing. :p

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    A book intended against feminazis 'Mies vailla tasa-arvoa', the title transalates to 'Man without equality' It's not that I'd be disagreeing with the writers, but the way they write makes it just propagandistic baloney for the simpleminded.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Very bizzarre (probably even more so than the Hitchhiker "trilogy") and very funny, in a strange dark way.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Horus Rising by Dan Abnett - first book in the Horus Heresy series. I've been wanting to read it for ages and my friend had it so I didn't have to buy it :D

I'm about 130 pages through and it's really good but I want to see more of the primarchs. I'm glad they didn't pit one as the main protagonist though, it's much better seeing them through another person's eyes.

The second in the series is awaiting me after this one to further fuel my current addiction for 40k fluff. I'm not sure what to expect of it as it's not by Dan Abnett so we'll just have to see. There's a Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus I'd like to pick up when I get the money, along with Watchmen and some of the Sandman graphic novels...

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore

6. Ziad

Media:
    Douglas Adams, The long dark tea-time of the soul. Not as funny or clever as the first Dirk Gently book but still fun. Dirk Gently's character does seem to have significantly decayed though - where he had a brilliant intelligence now he's almost entirely useless to the main plot, on which he seems to have no influence at all.

7. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

David weber & Linda Evans - Hell's Gate. Really interesting premise: A medival level magic-using society has been exploring Alternate planets(all of them duplicates of their own) thru inter-universal portals for 200 years without ever encountering another race.
    Until now.
    They encounter a race of humans that have been exploring the poratls for 80 years but have a roughly WW1-era technology & have very developed psychic powers but no magic whatsoever.
    Only about 70 pages into it but it is very good so far.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Fear Of Fifty by Erica Jong

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Montresor - I've read Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas and really enjoyed it, I think Hunter S. Thompson's rambling style of writing is great but is On The Campaign Tail of 72' worth picking up?

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'd say definitely, it's my favourite by Hunter S. Thompson. It's not as rambling as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and of course focuses more on politics - especially back-stage politics.

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Michele Kahn - Cacao (Cocoa)

Found it on my aunt's desk - and it's been a rather boring afternoon.

13. Ziad

Media:
    Terry Pratchett's Jingo. Great fun, one of his best I think. The last streak of Pratchett I've read have been really good. I hope the quality stays up with the more recent ones.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It won't, it will by no means go bad but his "middle" books are in my opinion by far the best ones.

15. Loreseeker

Media:
    Just finished One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters. (2nd book in the Brother Cadfael series)

16. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Loreseeker, I loved all the Brother Cadfael books and hope you will, too.
    I've wandered back in time to re-read some Robert Heinlein books I read as a child and teenager - Starship Troopers was especially good. Note well, oh young ones: when you get old and gray like me, books you read 40 years ago are so gone from your head it's like reading a new book.

17. Loreseeker

Media:
    revmaf: I love them already. :) I have just the first four, but I plan on getting all 20 of them... somehow, eventually. I've even made space on my shelf in advance... (Also, for once, TV series does the books justice - both are excellent).

18. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Hellboy: Odder Jobs

19. Ziad

Media:
    About to start Terry Pratchett's The last continent.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not the best one in the series.

I am reading Patrick O'Brian. The Ionian mission. You know that movie Master and Commander, well, that is a novel made by O'Brian. He made 20 books featuring Jack Aubry and Stephen Maturin. In many of those he commands the Surprise. In some not. in tha Ionian he commands a ship of the line, a 74.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.