1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I'm about to start "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett. I've never read any of his books before and I'm looking forward to reading this one.

2. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I just finished "Going Postal" and quite enjoyed it.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just finished Robot Blues - it wasn't as fun as I remembered it being. Knights of the Black Earth is definitely a much better book.

On the train ride home I am going to start on Storm Front by Jim Butcher. I read this book just over a year ago but I want to refresh my memory in order to properly evaluate how the Dresden Files t.v. show compares to the books.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell, the sequel to The Last Kingdom. The story is set against the backgound of the Viking invasions of England during the latter half of the 9th century. The main character is an young Anglo-Saxon nobleman, who was raised by pagan vikings, and is largely torn by divided loyalties. Anyone who likes good historical fiction might want to check out this series of books.

5. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    Chandos, I just bought that book. I've never read any of his books before so I'm glad to hear that they're good. Anglo-Saxon England is my favorite historical period. Should I read The Last Kingdom before I read this or can it stand alone?

6. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Dinsdale, you should read 'The Last Kingdom' before this one. Though it's not absolutely necessary it will make understanding much easier.

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks, Latro.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Latro

any idea when soldier of sidon is coming out?? :confused: the ending of soldier of arete stumped me :|

have just started Midnight Tides by Erikson.

9. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Enagonios - Soldier of Sidon is out for about half a year now ;)

I have read it then. It's very good and enjoyable.
    But don't exspect to get closer to any solution. Just more gods and more puzzles.

[ March 07, 2007, 18:21: Message edited by: Latro ]

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Storm Front on the train ride home and continued on with the series to start on Fool Moon.

Overall I would have to say that my assessment of the degree of difference between book and t.v. show would have to be extensive. A bunch of characters have the same name and occupation but that is about where the similarities end.

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Amber Spyglass By Philip Pullman.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Dinsdale - I think you should read The Last Kingdom first, but as already noted, it is not really necessary. You will also notice that at the end of the first book and beginning of the second, the two books really don't fit quite right together in tone, although the actual events do fit. This will make more sense once you read them.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Chain of Command - Hersh

Ah, it's a beautiful, beautiful world.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Princess Bride- William Goldman

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Latro

really? :eek: damn third-world bookstores, we've got practically nothing by Gene Wolfe :mad: oh, damn, there's a 4th book? :eek:

16. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Philosophical Rhetoric - the function of indirection in philosophical writing by Jeff Mason.

17. Steel General Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Glen Cook's - Chronicles of the Black Company (for about the 15th time :D )

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

That reminds me I should re-read about Croaker and Silent and the others as well. They are among my favourite books.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Fool Moon and continued on with the series to start on Grave Peril during my lunch break. All in all I would have to say that I prefer the books over the t.v. show but I understand why most of the changes were made and I think what they have done on the show makes for a better t.v. show than a more faithful adaptation would have.

20. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i loved the black company.i have 3 of the 4 books.they were great.although i haven't read them yet,i also have the first 2 books of garrett,p.i.it looks like a good series,too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.