1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Anomander Rake kicks serious ass. I've just started Deadhouse Gates by Erikson.

2. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

dragon's fire by anne mccaffrey and todd mccaffrey

has anyone read the dragon riders of pern series?anne's son todd has started writing them,too

3. Retief Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Currently, Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson, but I'm hoping to get a few new Pratchett books soon.

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Oh my, thanks to the many comments in this section I have started reading Pratchett's Discworld novels, not in order at first but I'm going back. What a hoot! How wonderful to hear recommendations from other constant readers - I never would have started them without your comments.

Thanks, SP friends.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Flag in Exile on the train ride home yesterday. I am working from home so I probably won't be doing any reading today but Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks is up next.

6. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Just bought my first Pratchett book, "Going Postal." I'm looking forward to reading it.

Right now I'm reading a book called "Lightning War," which is about the German campaign in the West in 1940. That's the only part of the war that I haven't previously read a lot about. It's very interesting.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just started _Mysteries of the Middle Ages: The Rise of Feminism, Science, and Art from the Cults of Catholic Europe_ by Thomas Cahill.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finally started Armageddon's Children today - so far it has been better than I expected. I would say that it isn't as good as the earlier books about John Ross but apart from those it is one of the best books that Terry Brooks has written.

9. revmaf

Just finished Hannibal Rising, the prequel to Thomas Harris's other Hannibal Lecter novels - got hold of it in part because of the recently released movie version. If you enjoyed the other books, don't fool with this one. What makes Hannibal Lecter so terrifying a figure is the utter opacity of his motives and backgrounds. This novel tries to humanize and explain him - just exactly wrong.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for another Terry Pratchett book to arrive. I've read Guards! Guards!, The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, and Mort. Waiting for the next book in several of these subsets of the Discworld series. He is an absolute hoot - if you haven't read him yet, you should start.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] An American who likes Pratchett? Does... not... compute... *bzzzzt* :shake: Sign up for the Discworld Monthly newsletter if you haven't yet.

Link: http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/

11. revmaf

@Taluntain , thanks for the link! Will do so.

Now reading The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfield - Freud visits U.S. and gets involved in investigating some kinky murders in NYC. Rather interesting so far.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

On my holiday I read the following:

A Rose for Armegeddon - Hilbert Schenck
    Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang - Kate Wilhelm
    Vacuum Flowers - Michael Swanwick

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang and Slaughterhouse 5 were awesome, Vacuum Flowers was good and A Rose For Armegeddon was above average.

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Currently 'A Storm of Swords' by George Martin. I'm slowly getting through this series...

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Re-reading a SF Classic - More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Spoiler Alert: Aaagh! We just found out that the John Ross books and Armaggedon's Children take place in the same world as the Shannara books. Oh come on! This is just plain dumb and quite frankly unless the Shannara books take place before the Word and Void books it is also highly inconsistent. In Armaggedon's Children we have technology as being at the modern level before the world is wiped out where as the technological artifacts in the Shannara books are clearly well beyond that.

16. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

darker than night by john lutz

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finsihed Armaggedon's Children - it started well but by the end it had managed to descend into being dreck. I am sorry that I read it as it taints the memory of the excellent John Ross trilogy.

I have started on Wizardborn by David Farland. It probably has been a bit too long since I read the first two books in the series but I am not going to go back and read them again. If I recall correctly the first book was very good while the second was decidely mediocre. So far the third book hasn't been anything special either.

Edit: Yep, definitely too long since I read the series because as it turns out I have already read Wizardborn. I suppose I will finish it anyway before starting the next book which I know for sure I have not read already.

[ February 20, 2007, 23:27: Message edited by: JSBB ]

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Wizardborn and started on The Lair of Bones. It has been pretty average stuff but one thing has been really bothering me. The size of the armies that they are talking about are just too big given the medieval setting and the description of the cities. There is one army that contains three million infantry and eighty two thousand cavalry. All I could think of is how the hell are they feeding these people.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Memories of Ice by Erikson. Gotta say, everyone that recommended the series was right on the money. Onos T'oolan, Quick Ben and Anomander Rake kick ass.

20. Angulimala Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Almost finished with Primal Scream by Michael Slade. A thriller about Canadian Mounties vs. psychos and rebel Native Americans (Cree and Gitxsan). Deals with human psychology, Native American genocide, with some great wilderness stalking scenes and quite a bit of humor. A fun read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.