1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Cosi: for school
    Maximum Ride, The Angle Experiment (That ones just 'caus I love it ;) )

2. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Chandos, that sounds like it could be interesting. How is it?

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Dinsdale - So far it's pretty good, but nothing like Cantor's masterpiece, Inventing the Middle Ages.

4. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

now i'm reading alone by lisa gardner

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@DS and revmaf

cool. would any of you happen to know of, maybe a fansite, that identifies all the mythological figures in the books? because I am loving this stuff but sometimes I get left hanging because my stock knowledge of roman and greek mythology isn't much better than your average person.

revmaf, you may want to check out your local bookstore, the 2 books have been re-released as an omnibus, which is what I have, they've changed the title to Latro in the Mist.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  7. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

D Gray Man by Katsura Hoshino. Kinda reminds me a little of Bleach...except with exorcists instead of death gods.

8. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks for the links guys, will try and check them out.

10. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

One of the classics, Day of the Trifids by John Wyndham. And Haruki Murakami's Wild Sheep Chase at the same time actually. Wonder what am I going to finish first, but since the Chase I've been reading since September it's kinda given. :hahaerr:

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Into a Dark Realm today - it is truly amazing how very little this book advances the series' plot. I was going to compare Feist to Robert Jordan but Jordan isn't anywhere near this bad. At this rate I think that there will have to be another 20 books in the series.

To make matters worse my reaction to the one major plot development was something along the lines of "Oh dear God please tell me that Feist has not so completely lost any ability to actually come up with a good idea that he is actually doing this!".

I have started on Flag in Exile by David Weber. As a comparison to Into a Dark Realm, I think Weber manages to advance the plot of the series more in Flag in Exile's prologue than Feist does in his entire novel.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Crucified City by Peter van Greenaway - at first I thought that it was going to fail at being utterly depressing due to an unsympathic main character, but no, it succeeds at that quite well.

13. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Heh. Feist pretty much lost it after Magician, IMO.

Sad, really... some authors get better as they go along.

To Trade the Stars - Czerneda. An end to the series, carried out with style and humour. Not great, but good, readable and provides closure to most plot threads.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    "Rome's Greatest Defeat - The Massacre of Teutoberg Forest" by Adrian Murdoch

It's about the crippling effects of Rome losing 3 full legions in AD 9 Germany, which led to Augustus in his later years crying out: "Quinctilius Varrus, where are my eagles?!?!?"

I love Roman history!!

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I've been wandering in the Teutoburger Wald. Nice place. Stubborn people :shake:

I'm reading B.H. Liddell Hart's 'Strategy' and Sebastian Haffner's book on the German Revolution 1918/19.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Last Kingdom - Bernard Cornwell. This is really a good book.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I saw a version of that quote too bel, but the one I saw read "Varrus, return to me my legions." I think it was in Rome: Total War :D

Anyway, just finished Latro in the Mist. I must say that imo it kinda slowed up in the end and I disliked the ending. It felt like there was no real closure to me :/

Anyway, I've started Gardens of the Moon by Erikson and I must say that so far I agree with the majority here in that it is pretty good. The scenes of carnage and bloodshed are quite vivid :sick:

18. Old Raven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Path of Daggers - Robert Jordan
    and
    Moving Pictures - Terry Pratchett

19. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Imajica by Clive Barker. It's pretty good.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Old Raven

You're in for a treat. Due to all the easily recognizable jibes at the movie business (in a fantasy setting no less!) that is imo, one of the funniest (though not best) Discworld novels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.