1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was a little bored Friday night so I read Field of Dishonor. I didn't bring any more Honor Harrington books so it looks like I am going to tackle Ring of Fire by Eric Flint next.

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm reading Greg Keyes The Briar King

3. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Just picked up a compilation of two books called "What if?" and What If? 2" The book is a compilation of essays by various historians examining the what if's of history. I'm currently reading an interesting essay about what might have transpired if Alexander the Great had died ten years earlier than he actaully did. It's quite a fascinating study of alternative history.

Some other essays that look interesting to me are: What if the Germans had repulsed the Allies on D-day and what if King Harold had defeated William of Normandy at Hastings. Pretty cool stuff.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I thought it was a pretty good book. I'd be intersted to know what you think of it, DS.

5. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i just finished stephen king's dark tower 7.the ending was so bad i wanted to stick the whole series in a deep hole,set it on fire,then bury it.then i started straken by terry brooks.the last book in the high druid of shannara trilogy.i have the whole shannara series

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Chandos So far it's interesting, waiting for explanations etc, I've found the annoying character (the kid priest) I already want him to be seriously maimed or killed, maybe he'll redeem himself. About a quarter of the way through and enjoying it, that much I've already ordered the second book.

7. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Dinsdale, I have What If? but never started it. Maybe I will now.

8. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    revmaf, it's pretty good so far. Have you started "With The Old Breed" yet? If so what do you think of it?

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Hang in there with him, DS. IMO, he turns out to be one of the best characters in the KoT&B series. But my feeling about him was pretty much the same as yours during the first part of the BK.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner - heard good things about it.

I also now have a huge amount of apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic books to feed my obsession - hoorah :)

11. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Book of Lost Tales

Edit:
    Dragon3 - Welcome.
    Kings does warn you not to read on at the end. It was definitely advice worth heeding!
    I've just finished the latest Shannara trilogy as well. It's definitely an improvement on the original series, but I wouldn't have bothered buying them except I had to get something cheap from the book club for my membership commitments.

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

The Day Watch- Sergei Lukyanenko. Awesome book.

13. revmaf

Dinsdale, I'm just getting into it but already have learned a lot - his description of the conditions they endured before they ever hit the beach in battle was very sobering, and I finally understood where the weapons instructor I had in my long-ago police days learned his technique - he was a retired Marine.

It's clearer and clearer why my father never talked about his work at an aid station which was overrun at one point, except to observe that when a doctor or pharmacist's mate passed out they just kicked him to the side of the tent to get him out of the way while they worked on the wounded. He ended up on lifetime partial disability pension from the Navy for the stress-induced ulcer he developed on Peleliu.

Thanks for steering me to the book.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

@Dinsdale, The What If book is awesome!

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Have moved onto Magician: Master and am nearly done. This is good stuff.

16. revmaf

Dinsdale, finished the Peleliu section and am taking a break for something else. Vivid, heartbreaking. How self-contained my father was, all those years, never to speak of it. He became a pharmacist's mate because he didn't want to kill people - then he ended up on Peleliu and probably had to snatch up a rifle and shoot more than once.

Time for something empty-headed for a while!

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just started George Orwell's Animal Farm and will continue with Nineteen Eighty-Four.

@Dinsdale: Thanks for letting me know about the What If books - I hadn't heard about them before. They sound very interesting and have been added to my cart at Amazon! :)

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@montresor

that is one depressing reading list :/

just finished Magician, I liked it. I'm about to start Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe, a single volume combining Solider of the Mist and Soldier of Arete.

20. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Enagonios, Magician is good. Feist's books are mostly downhill from there, though. But the Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the Empire books are enjoyable.

Reading Czerneda: "Ties of power" right now. It is doing a fair job, but "A thousand words for stranger" is a hard act to follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.