1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's the first. The "His Dark Materials" trilogy is 1) The Golden Compass 2) The Subtle Knife 3) The Amber Spyglass

lotsa stuff happened this weekend so I didn't have time to rad, but I'm starting the Subtle Knife tomorrow I think.

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Gah, it sounds better as 'Northern Lights'.

I finished 'One Bullet Away- The Making of a Marine Officer' by Nathaniel Fick. I would strongly recommend it to anyone interesting in Iraq, Afghanistan or the US Marine Corps. It's a very well written book, containing almost non of the 'gung ho' that Marines are stereotyped with.

Next up, The Art of War- Sun Tzu

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

On a Chris Brookmeyer session.

Just finished "All Fun and Games untill Someone Loses an Eye", and "Be My Enemy", and just started "A Tale etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil."

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Ack, I finished Half Blood Prince on Saturday but I couldn't find my copy of Deathly Hallows - either my Dad borrowed it without telling me when he went to France or I have lost it somehow.

Oh well, amusingly enough I started on The Golden Compass on the train ride in this morning. My Mom gave me her copy to read a couple months ago but for some reason I was reluctant to read it - probably because I though the movie trailer looked kind of dumb. Anyway, I am not far enough into it to really form an opinion but it has been decent so far.

6. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I just finished 'Renegade's Magic' by Robin Hobb.
    A fitting end to 'The Soldier son' triology.
    Robin Hobb at her best. Strongly recommended :)

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Northern Lights does sound cooler but imo The Golden Compass is a more.. appropriate title considering the alethiometer(sp?)

JSBB, it gets better. I found it quite kick ass. Can't wait for the movie.

@Daie

good luck with that. like "The Prince", Art of War is one of those books that I can only read a bit at a time before switching to other books then only going back durin intervals.

8. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

hard truth...............by nevada barr

9. Daie d'Malkin

@Enag I'm reading The Art of War, the Book of Five Rings, and two books on Bushido. See a connection? I'm researching!

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Golden Compass. I will say that it is good for now but how good it is will depend greatly on how some questions are answered in the other books. If there is a good enough payoff I may upgrade Golden Compass to very good, but I could just as easily downgrade it. This really isn't a stand alone book so evaluating it at this point really isn't appropriate.

However, I will say that you really can't go wrong with including polar bears as major characters. ;)

Anyway, I will be starting of Deathly Hallows on the train ride home.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @JSSB: Whether you enjoy the rest of the series or not depends on what kind of answers you're expecting. Almost all loose ends are eventually tied up, but few of them are in a predictable way. I strongly suggest you read the series all the way to the end - though I will admit the second is my favourite.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Children of Amaril, by David B. Coe. only about 100 pages into it but its fairly good so far. Yet another young man getting fetched and dragged away by a wizard though :)

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Deathly Hallows again - I liked it a bit better on the second read than I did the first.

I have started on The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman.

14. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

The Pullman trilogy is great, IMHO.

Just finished Old Man's War, John Scalzi, and enjoyed it enough to order the next in the series. Straight space opera with an interesting concept twist and lots of evil aliens and shoot-em-up. Space operas are Westerns, really.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson. It's a school book. Not bad, it reminds me a bit of Catch 22 or The Things They Carried in its humour.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Glen Cook - Passage at Arms

This is his best work. Or at least his best work that I've read. The cover blurb calls it the 'Das Boot of SF' and I think that's accurate.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just started the amber spyglass, last part of pullman's his dark materials trilogy. this stuff is awesome.

18. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

the garrett files.............by glenn cook.....a great author

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Subtle Knife on Saturday and I started on The Amber Spyglass today. Up to this point I think the second and third book are not quite as good as the first.

There was one element of the ending of The Subtle Knife that just didn't seem to make any sense. Hopefully there is a pretty damned good explanation coming up but I suspect there won't be.

20. Daie d'Malkin

I remember reading Amber SPyglass when I was a kid, with my buddy reading it with me, who was 10 pages ahead. He started crying at one point, which freaked me out, cos I was trying to work out what made him cry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.