1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I really liked If Chins Could Kill. It is easily the most entertaining autobiography that I have ever read.

I have not been reading much lately due to my travels but I did manage to finish Definitely Dead which was decent.

I also read Harlequin by Laurell Hamilton which was pretty bad but better than any of Hamilton's books since Obsidian Butterfly.

Finally I have read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Again I found it somewhat disappointing but the same could be said about the last two books in the series. I am starting back on book one and I am going to read all seven in a row so I will reserve final judgment until I finish but I really don't think it will change my opinion.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I read the Bourne Identity for the first time. I now see why they had to change the story so drastically for the movie, there was just way too much content in the original book. The movie still kinda sucks though imo. The book didn't really live up to my expectations either, great premise though.

I also just finished Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey. Awesome stuff. It intentionally mirrors the plot of LotR but tells it from the point of view of the other side. The "evil" characters are the ones you can really sympathize with here, I'm rooting for them to win. Just started the 2nd and final part, Godslayer

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have finished the first three and started on book four of the Harry Potter series. I can't say that after reading the last book I am finding anything new in these books - if anything I am finding more little inconsistencies.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Working my way through Connie Willis' Doomsday Book. Good, but not as good as the assorted gushing verbs from respectable sources led me to believe.

Also reading some Kelly Link short stories.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading "and the Deathly Hallows" and enjoying it about as much as the other books in the series. Not great literature but I sure keep turning those pages.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished Godslayer. I heartily recommend this 2-book story to anyone.

I've resumed, yet again, The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    See? See!

Listen to AMaster. AMaster knows what he's talking about.

Thank you, that is all.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Faerie Tale- Raymond E Feist.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Finished the last Potter book, as I said I kept turning those pages so it must have been decent at least. Rowling is a tad too fond of the deus ex machina for my liking though.

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Sovereign Stone Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Great.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Once again, I've put aside The First Man in Rome. It's not bad, but I just find it a bit slower than what I'm used to... next time I guess.

I'm halfway through the Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. My friend loaned me the box set some time ago and kept bugging me to read the trilogy. With the first movie already being advertised, I started yesterday. It is awesome so far.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Just finished a few days ago the latest and last Harry Potter. A bit strange to see it ending already, since usually the authors try to milk the serie dry and leave the ending completely unfinished, so cheers of that.

Excellent book, by the way.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Desolation Island, by P. O'Brian. Remeber the movie Master and Commander? Well, there about 20 books of it.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yeah, but the ending is really pretty good. It kind of makes the rest of the book worthwhile, although as you point out, and I agree with you, the middle of the book is dull. But it does get better towards the end. If you are looking for good histrorical fiction, I can recommend Bernard Cornwell's "Saxon" series of books. They are really good.

15. Daie d'Malkin

Fragile Things- Neil Gaiman. Can this man do anything wrong? Definitely my favourite author.

Up next- The Art of War- Sun Tzu

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yeah, I think I'll give cornwall a try. How is he compared to Steven Pressfield? or, rather, compared to Gates of Fire? the other Pressfield books I've read were crap.

Anyways, just finished the Golden Compass, this stuff is awesome! Hope the movie isn't crap. Gonna start the Subtle Knife tomorrow.

17. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I'll second Chandos' recommendation. Cornwell's Saxon novels are the best books I have read in a long time.

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Re-reading the early Harry Potter books while waiting for Amazon (yes, Tal, I remembered! :) ) to ship the Deathly Hallows.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am just over half way through Half-Blood Prince in my consecutive re-read of the Harry Potter series. About my only insight so far has been that Order of the Phoenix was actually better than I remembered so I guess it was really only the last two books that were kind of disappointing.

20. Daie d'Malkin

@Enag- The Golden Compass? Which book is that? Please don't tell me they renamed the first book outside the UK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.