1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Both House of Chains and Memories of Ice rock. When is that Reaper's Gale coming out?

2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Mappo Trell and Icarium are better, I reckon.

Um, can anyone clarify the order of books in the series, cos I have a niggling suspiscion that I've missed a book out.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I kinda agree, but I did not think that House of Chains was all that bad (I really liked the second half of the book). I'm not very far into Midnight Tides, but so far it is really good. Yet thus far it starts a whole new thread to the story, with a new set of characters.

[ April 24, 2007, 04:51: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think House of Chains was good but Memories of Ice was excellent. I would have to say that the sections of House of Chains dealing with Karsa and Fiddler were interesting but just about all of the other characters' storylines really seemed to drag on at times.

SPOILER: I kind of have mixed feelings about the ending. In a way it is quite poetic for the dead from the chain of dogs to have their revenge but it really made the end too easy. I think I would have liked it better if Adjunct Tavore had got the chance to fight the battle and show us some nasty strategic work before the spirits from the chain of dogs joined in to seal the deal.
    END SPOILER

I don't have Midnight Tides yet. For some reason the bookstores have had it only in paperback but the hardcover was supposed to be released last week. I got The Bonehunters in hardcover last October. The publishing schedule here is just completely messed up.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am still stunned by how behind the US is. I read Bonehunters over a year ago and have had time to read it again. It rocks big time. Karsa Orlong rules.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

How could I forget about Tehol Beddict :doh:

Yes, Tehol is my favorite character. I love that whole useless conversation thing that he and his manservant Bugg have got goin on ;)

Anyway I just finished The Average American Male by Chad.. Kultner(?). If you're a feminist you'll probably want to take a shotgun to the guy but if you're expecting a pig of a book all about sex you'll find it hilarious :D I'm broke now and it's a pretty short book so I read it at the bookstore earlier, frickin hilarious :D

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah well it has been really annoying for me to have The Bonehunters sitting there just waiting to be read for six months but not able to do so because the previous book in the series was not available in hardcover yet.

I think that in Canada we are getting trade paperback editions on roughly the same schedule as you get the hardcovers in New Zealand but the hardcovers are not being released until the US release date. My copy of The Bonehunters is from the U.K. I think which is why I was able to get it in hardcover before the September 07 North America hardcover release date.

I must say that I have NEVER heard of a publisher bringing out a trade paperback before a scheduled hardcover release. Releasing a hardcover version of a popular book that was originally released only in paperback is one thing but releasing a trade paperback then a hardcover then another paperback edition is just plain weird.

I was sorely tempted to pick up the trade paperback of Midnight Tides but I knew that I would just end up getting the hardcover anyway so I have been patient.

9. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Interestingly strange. Especially since the books say Erikson lives in Canada...

Reading "Byzantium: The Apogee" by Norwich at present. Oh, the intrigues... and the poor envoys time and again returning to their homeland with promising news - to find the emperor had died in the meantime.

And those emperors... everything from purebred, learned aristocrats of the nth generation to mostly-illiterate, violent armenian adventurers to the one who spent most of his time caring for his newly built, 2000-strong horse stables.

Very entertaining reading on the bus in the morning.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Finally finished Vonnegut's Player Piano... it wasn't bad, I just had no inclination to read it.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Friday on the train ride home. It was excellent. It is by far the best Heinlein book that I have read (although admittedly I have only read a few of his books).

I have started on The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Caves of Steel yesterday on the train ride home and I started on the next book The Naked Sun. It is an excellent series but that is what you would expect from Asimov. Unfortunately with my working from home today and flying to England tomorrow it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get to finish it.

13. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Just starting "Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett.

14. Harbourboy

Tehol Beddict rocks.

I am now reading "Monstrous Regiment" by Terry Pratchett.

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I gave in and am reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. At the same time for one of my classes I'm reading Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter.

16. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Feast of Souls - Celia Friedman. It's intriguing, and gives me good ideas for Ars Magica plots...

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just started Ayn Rand's We the Living. Last Ayn Rand novel I haven't read.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I ended up bringing the book with me so I finished The Naked Sun on the plane. It was o.k. but not nearly as good as The Caves of Steel. I continued on to start on The Robots of Dawn which has been surprisingly boring so far.

19. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

A World Without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Godel And Einstein, by Palle Yourgrau. I'm having to dust off my college symbolic logic and foundations of mathematics memories but it's a fascinating review of Godel's nearly forgotten logical proof that in a world in which Einsteinian relativity is true, time cannot exist. (Yes, I know Godel's name is supposed to have an umlaut but I don't know how to type one here.)

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Sheep Look Up - John Brunner, just to continue in the apocalyptic theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.