1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Which one came before Silent Blade again?

Anyhoo I'm reading Catalina's Riddle by Steven Saylor now. A Murder Mystery type set in Ancient Rome

2. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I just finished the Starlight & Shadows trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. It's very, very cliché and cheesy. But...I like cheese. If it's the good kind. And it was.

Also, I'm part way through Book VII of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I've actually cried while reading it. It's very upsetting.

I haven't cried whilst reading a book since Jimmy the Hand went down with 'his' city...Best. Death. Ever.

3. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ick. Feist.

Don't mind me. Just started Command Decision by Elisabeth Moon. #4 in a fair SF series.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Only Feist books I read were Faerie Tale and Magician. They were pretty good though imo.

Still on Catalina's Riddle by Steven Saylor, I think I left if at my girlfriend's house :doh: so I'll look for something else to read later in the meantime.

5. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Enagonios, Passage to Dawn came before The Silent Blade. I finished The Silent Blade and have moved on to The Spine of The World.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin - very good. His book This Perfect Day is awesome too.

7. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Pet Peeve - Pierce Anthony. I consider this basically cotton candy for the brain.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Yellow Eyes on Monday, it was decent but not great. The Posleen are a bit too human in this one - they were always a lot more alien in their thinking before.

I read The Broken Cycle by A. Bertram Chandler yesterday and I started on The Big Black Mark, again by Chandler. They are decidedly mediocre but that is more or less what I expected given my previous experience with his books. I picked up the set of Chandler books for cheap a while back otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with them.

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Argh! My eyes! I didn't see it, I didn't!

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Big Black Mark and I continued on with the series to start of The Far Traveller. It is more of the same. I might as well read the books in the series that I already have but I certainly will not be getting the ones that I am missing.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finished Catalina's Riddle. Started out boring but at the middle I was hooked and couldn't stop. DAMN YOU CICERO! :mad: :D

I think I'll be starting the out-of-print copy of Sword of the Demon by Richard Lupoff that my mom found. Also, I finally saw a copy of Gene Wolfe's Soldier of Sidon but it's still in hardcover so forget that.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Star Traveller yesterday - I must say that it had to have had the most completely random plot I have ever seen. The cast of characters has a series of short and completely unrelated zany adventures with the final one being the shortest and having a conclusion that just pops out of the blue and makes little sense except that it provides Chandler with an excuse to end the book.

I proceeded on with the series and started on Star Courier which I just finished during my lunch break. It did have a coherent plot but the conclusion was just too easy and the characters just didn't inspire any emotional involvement. I honestly wouldn't have minded if the series' main character had died - I knew that wouldn't be possible given that I still have an unfortunately large pile of unread books about him but if some sort of bizarre quantum event had allowed him to die and have the remaining books fade out of existence then I really wouldn't have minded. That is probably a sign that I should just consider buying the books to be a sunk cost and toss them but unfortunately the next book is all I have with me so I guess I will have to start it on the train ride home.

Thus, To Keep the Ship (the next book in the series) will be the next book that I read. I guess I can be thankful that I only paid around $3/book for hardcover versions of this schlock.

13. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would guess that you now know why the harcover only cost $3

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

15. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    White Knight by Jim Butcher

16. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

eldest...........sequel to eragon............by christopher paolini

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished To Keep the Ship on Saturday. I am taking the rest of the books in the series and putting them in the only read if you are really desperate pile. Unfortunately I am running low on books that are not in that pile or else I would have never started reading the series again.

Tomorrow I am going to start reading Friday by Robert Heinlein. I have always thought that Heinlein was somewhat overrated but beggars can't be choosers.

Oh well, I have a book order that should arrive in the next couple weeks that will include 24 books of which nine are omnibus collections meaning that I am really getting 40 books. I have read six of the books contained in the omnibus editions but that will leave me with 34 new books to read.

[ April 23, 2007, 14:51: Message edited by: JSBB ]

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I have just finished Memories of Ice and have moved straight into House of Chains. Memories is for me the best of the series so far if only for one character Itkovian, I hope that he can keep this sort of standard up, and also my favourite characters Quick Ben, Ganoes Paran, Toc the younger and Onos Toolan will still give me joy.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yeah, Tool rocks. I'm now reading Sacrament by Clive Barker.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Personally I thought that House of Chains wasn't nearly as good as Memories of Ice.

On a positive note so far Friday has been much better than I had expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.