1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've just finished some fun pulp sci-fi and am thinking of getting back into my dystopia/apocalyptic groove. A Clockwork Orange looks like it might be an idea...

2. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

A Clockwork Orange is an excellent book. Highly recommended :) For short, pulpy dystopian stuff, give Harlan Ellison a whirl if you haven't already. I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream is a particularly awesome story.

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Hunters of Dune, supposed sequel to Chapterhouse

It's getting very silly now and I'm really struggling to believe this is what Frank Herbert intended.

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    "Kitty takes a Vacation"

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Lords of the North - Bernard Cornwell.

6. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

lol, The Magister, the titles for that particular series from Carrie Vaughn really beg for you to explain what they're about. How I wish they weren't titled like children's books.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Shadow Assassin

Have you read any Hobb, Martin or Erikson? If you think Salvatore is merciless, wait till you read that stuff :p

I'm now readin the Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith.

8. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Heh, just like Ray Feist. Just about everyone dies at the end of the Krondor series. But, most of them have awesome deaths.

However, there was a story by a female British author who killed off everyone's favourite character by pushing him into a black curtain...Worst. Death. Ever.

9. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @Shadow Assassan: I know they have strange names, but I love the books all the same.

@Cheesegear: You try creating a death sutiable for minors. You probably can't have any fun with it no matter how you decide to do it.

10. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

Well now I'm reading Siege of Darkness, so far it's pure hilarity. Granted there have been a few serious spots, but the comedic value far outweighs as of yet.

The Magister, think of it like this though.
    person1, "hey I'm reading this great book"
    person2, "really, what is it"
    person1, "Kitty takes a vacation"
    person2, "yeah.... I've moved beyond tom and sally books. I read Harry Potter now"
    person1, "um it's a book about a werewolf... Potter huh..."
    awkward silence

11. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

entombed................by linda fairstein

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finally got around to finishing House of Chains yesterday. Between vacation and Easter I have not had much reading time lately. Overall I would say that it was pretty good but not nearly as good as Memories of Ice.

I just started Unto the Breach by John Ringo. It is tripe but something pulpy always goes down well after some serious reading.

13. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I just finished the first two books of the "Faerie Wars" chronicles by Herbie Brennan, and am looking forward to reading the third.

I'm also currently reading "Eldest" (have to get back to it) by Christopher Paolini, and "Trickster's Queen" by Tamora Pierce (my sister finally returned it to me after I had forgotten it at her place).

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Adams' Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide.

I saw the leatherbound omnibus containing five of his novels in the store for $15, so I figured it would be a good time to give Adams a try.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Heaven's Mirror" by Graeme Hancock. Lots of whacky theories about who built the Pyramids etc.

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Jordan's "Knife of Dreams". The most boring of the lot so far...

17. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Pity the last Wheel of Time book will only be released in 2009 because Robert Jordan is quite ill. The last few books have got irritating, but I just want to finish the story.

Also waiting for the next part of the Darkwar saga.

18. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I must say I am truly enjoying the drizzt series. I'm up to "The Silent Blade" now. Must say I loved the plot twist in the last book. Quite unexpected, though he set it up nicely and I can't believe I missed it. He hinted one way and dangled a carrot the other. Well played Mr Salvatore, well played.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Unto the Breach during lunch today. The first half was pretty typical for the Paladin of Shadows series but the second half was actually quite good (for pulp that is).

Ringo is at his best when writing prolonged improbable battle scenes where a small company of elite troops is defending against a horde of lesser foes and the one that takes up the last half of this book is definitely one of his best.

I am going to start reading Yellow Eyes by Ringo and Kratman on the way home. It is in the Posleen series which has had some pretty dodgy writing in the co-authored books but the previous Ringo/Kratman one was actually decent so hopefully this one will be o.k.

20. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Just finished Tamora Pierce's four "Protector of the Small" books (First Test, Page, Squire, Lady Knight) which I started reading to evaluate for my young niece and finished reading because they're good stories. Yes, they are aimed at a young audience and they are a bit idealistic, but they are pretty good stories. I may read some of her other books later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.