1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@JSBB, good point.

I have a second-hand "The Garret Files" with the three first Garret novels by monsignor Cook, so I see.

*sigh* ... no Kushiel book for me today. The local bookstore was sold out of all four...

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Wheels of Fire and continued on with the series and started reading When the Bough Breaks. Both of them are decent.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    IMO, Market Forces was every bit as good as Morgan's Kovacs books--provided one can shrug off
    the 'bidding through Mad Max escapades' conceit.

In other Morgan news, his new novel 'Black Man' ('Thirteen' in the US, for obvious reasons) is out in a few months.

Anywho, I'm reading David Brin's Kiln People. Pretty solid--Brin's a capable writer, though not on the 'omfg so cool' level of, say, Haldeman or Morgan.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldnt be able to shrug it off. What little I read I could tell that the book itself was probably a good read but I am just so actively disinterested in car racing that I am almost out of principle refused to read on.

I am currently reading a popular biography over Alexender the Great. Seems to be very little beyond what is known by anyone with teh slightest interest of ancient history.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Re-reading "The Black Powder War"
    Dragons and imperial age weapons. What could be better :)

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Just finished Midnight Tides. Erikson's stuff is fantastic. Can't wait until a "regular" sized paperback comes out for Bonehunters.

Have started reading Firelord by Parke Godwin, some historical fiction about King Arthur.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished When the Bough Breaks - it was probably the most heavy handed in the series when it came to the social message but all in all it was quite enjoyable. Just about every scene with Mac and Belinda was chuckle worthy.

I am going to be starting on The Black Company on the train ride home. What can I say, I pulled it out of my book shelf to check which books were in the omnibus edition so it was conveniently sitting on my desk when I packed up to go to work this morning. I bought it a while ago but I have never got around to reading it so I figured why not.

8. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@JSBB, just get past the first chapter or two and you will enjoy yourself.

Started rereading HP Lovecraft. Omnibus 3 - The Haunter of the Dark.

(At the Mountains of Madness still ranks as the best shivery novel I have... preferably to be read in one sitting a cold autumn evening.)

9. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

That's one of my favorites, but I like The Dunwich Horror even more...

Currently re-reading Gardens of the Moon--I read it 6 months ago and couldn't really get into it, but after perusing some of the online Malazan infosites, I'm enjoying it more this go-round.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Black Company last night - it was pretty good. I am about 2/3 the way through Shadows Linger. I was a little upset at first that Cook stopped having everything told from Croaker's perspective but I quickly got over that and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    At the Mountains of Madness is brilliant. I made the mistake of reading it on a freezing cold December evening, finished it just after midnight, and could not go to sleep. I think it's one of his best stories, up there with Shadow Out of Time.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson, oddly enough, for only the second time, even though I have read all the other books in the series twice already.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Reading Allen Steele's Coyote -- pretty good. Not too spectacular, but worth a look.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

The Privates Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner- James Hogg.

Reading it for uni. Interesting.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Shadows Linger and I have started on The White Rose - I must say that I am really enjoying the series so far. I guess I will have to think about ordering the next book whenever it shows up on the SFBC catalogue.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

left my copy of Firelord at my gf's house so I'm going to start on Hyperion by Dan Simmons

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The White Rose. I am really liking this series. Getting the next book is definitely a priority.

I have just started on House of Chains by Erikson.

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@JSBB I'm glad that you're enjoying the series, they are among my favourite books of all time

19. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

@Enagonios, I am a big fan of that particular series of Dan Simmons books. Sometimes he's only so-so, but the four that go together with Hyperion are fine books.

One of these days, I promise myself, I'll start reading for fun again. Any day now. Honest.

20. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Radiation Detection and Measurement. +_+ Luckily I only have to read a few pages...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.