1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Enagonios

'Soldier of Sidon' ends so utterly in media res that there can be no doubt that a sequel is planned.
    But there is no hint yet anywhere on the internet when this book will be written or released. And Gene Wolfe is 75 years old ...

2. Steel General Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

I think I read somewhere that he is going to do an 11th book about the Black Company, but I can't remember wher I read that.

I have all of the Garret P.I. books and enjoyed them very much.

Also, I just ordered a 3-in-1 compilation of the Dread Empire books by Glen Cook, we'll have to see how those turn out.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

For me The Black Company and The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, are the best books about a Mercenary company in a fantasy setting, Croaker and the Lady are intriguing characters as well.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Grave Peril on the train ride home. I am definitely going to have to try to find the next book in the series.

I have barely started on Born to Run by MErcedes Lackey and Larry Dixon. It seems kind of dumb so far but it is too still early to judge.

5. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i'm in the sci-fi book club,so if glen cook does make more black company books,i'll post it here when i see them.i'll have to check if i have glittering stone 2.i can't remember if i got that one or not

6. Steel General Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

I'm also in SFBC and all the Black Company books should be available.

7. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've recently started on Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy and Awlinson's Avatar trilogy. These are the first sets of books I'm reading by these authors, so other than Elminster, what else is good by them?

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Born to Run - it was decent despite the very heavy handed "have pity on the poor street kids" message. I am continuing on with the series to read Chrome Circle. I am glad to see that the description on the back makes me believe that they have dispensed with the first book's moralizing for the sequel.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Oxford Illustrated History of the Vikings. I was inspired to learn more about the Vikings after playing Civilisation IV.

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just started San Sombrero. Bloody hilarious stuff.

Also finished off Phaic Tan a few days ago, which is done by the same 3 guys. If you are looking for a good book to give you a laugh, try either of these though they may be hard to get a hold of.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    HB, may I suggest the novel The Last Kingdom? It has a great deal about the Vikings, and while a fictional account, it has a lot of historical accuracy. And it is really a fun novel. Also, a few of the Icelandic Sagas are great reads, and often cited as primary sources for Viking historical accounts.

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Blood Bound-by Patrica Briggs

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hernando de Soto, The Mystery of Capital - Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and fails everwhere else

Excellent book. Considering that it's about economics, and in a foreign language on top of that, remarkably easy read.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Chrome Circle and went on to read Wheels of Fire only to find that it appears to take place before Chrome Circle. Given that I have two omnibus editions that contain two books each I would have expected the order to go 1/2 in one omnibus and 3/4 in the other but apparently that isn't the case here. Weird.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Woken Furies" by Richard Morgan the third book in a SF series about some super mercenary/assassin and they are quite good. I had borrowed four books from the library by Morgan but apparently the third book he had written took place in a different setting and was about bank clerks who solved their differences by death racing in custom built cars in a not so distant future. I read a few chapters and hten put it away. It might have been good but I am extremely uninterested in anything to do with cars and racing so I aggressively dumped it. I think it was meant as some kind of criticism towards capitalist society one way or the other.

16. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

@joacquin, I, too, like that particular series of three books by Richard Morgan, and agree in disliking the one you mentino - "Market Forces", I think it was called. I didn't finish it, either. "Woken Furies" comes to an interesting stopping point at the end but doesn't totally rule out another book with the same lead character - I trust that doesn't count as a spoiler. The first two in the series, "Altered Carbon" and "Broken Angels" are also quite good.

I'm reading - nothing fun! Too busy with take-home work and other RL. Back to the pleasant stack of books soon, I hope.

17. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@Dragon3, four books?

On the contrary, I've enjoyed all ten books of the Black Company. A few times.

I see book two in his new series (Instrumentalities of the night) has just arrived at my local bookpusher. Ought to get hold of it soon, since I'm out of unread books...

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

If he got them from the science fiction book club then they would be omnibus editions that collect two or three books of the series in each book. For example I bought "Annals of the Black Company" from them. It contains "The Black Company", "Shadows Linger" and "The White Rose".

19. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

yes,they came from sfbc.i got annals of the black company,the black company goes south,and glittering stone 1.i might have glittering stone 2.i'm not sure.they are out in the shed now(the book cases got full),so i'll have to check.each one has 3 or 4 books in them.i think that's where the difference in numbers is

20. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Harbourboy:
    You should try 'The Long Ships' by Frans G. Bengtson. It's the best novel about vikings you can find: Historically accurate, action packed and full of humour !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.