1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Something called 'Roofworld' (can't be bothered getting up to find out the author's name). It's well enough written, but I'm not getting into the plot...

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I just finished reading all six Harry Potter books... it took me two months. Now I wait in anticipation for the seventh. :)

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dark Carnival - James A Moore. It isn't bad but I wouldn't call it a classic either. Once in a while I feel like a little horror. It does have a twisted clown in it.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm just about to finish Mad Ship by Robin Hobb. It's unbelievable how much she's changed the character, Malta. From being a self-centered, uppity pain in the arse, she's now a caring, loving kind of girl.

I'll read Ship of Destiny next. Good series so far.

I've actually got a few books I've bought but never got around to reading. Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, V for Vendetta and that one about Greece and Spartans or whatever (forget the name).
    I'm going to be busy getting stuck into this lot!

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A load of good books there. Malta rules. She is a very well written character. Even when she was a pain, you could still see her point of view.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Got Gardens of the Moon for my bday, so I am reading that now.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield?

yeah, the transition was handled well though. the worst transition of this sort that I saw was in the FR setting, when Cyric went from a good friend to a backstabbing killer in a day or two. No transition at all and no reason for it.

True, but it was kinda hard to sympathize.

Just finished Last Continent and am about to Start Thief of Time also by Pratchett.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just finished Watchmen, the comic written by Alan Moore. Absolutely brilliant.

Have started on The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm on my second read of The Hobbit and I just finished Frank Miller's That Yellow Bastard of his Sin City series. I've just started The Big Fat Kill.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hope you enjoy it, Morgoth.

I am now reading "Of course I love you. Now go to you room!" by Diane Levy.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not a book per se, but I'm reading Beowulf right now.

13. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading a book that by baby pulled off the shelf at the library while I was browsing the paperbacks.
    It is a horror called Hawkes Harbor and it's actually very interesting. I'm glad he chose it for me.

14. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf is absolutely awesome. I would also recommend Tolkien's essay The Monster and the Critics.
    It doesn't have a lot in common with the Geats and Grendel but I'm currently reading Rabbit, Run by John Updike. :D

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

my mistake, i'm reading the fifth elephant by pratchett

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I would also recommend _Grendel_ by John Gardner. Great book, and proof that even the monster has a point of view. It may cause you to wonder who the real "monsters" are in the story.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

now I'm reading Thief of Time by Pratchett, the last book I bought in my Pratchett-buying spree. Fifth Elephant was awesome. Definitely one of my favorite Pratchett books, right up there with Night Watch and Moving Pictures.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished "Reality Dysfunction" by Peter Hamilton. Was really good, too bad part 2 in the series seems to be missing from the library. Computer system says it is in but I cant find it in the shelf :(

19. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Descartes' Error by Antonio R. Damasio

20. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Barry Trotter and the Unecessary sequel. It destroys something that a woman put a lot of effort into, but god damn its funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.