1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Jedi Eclipse yesterday and started on Balance Point by Kathy Tyers. The more I read of the New Jedi Order the more I am tempted to go out and buy something so that I will have something else to read.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finished A Game of Universe early last night and decided to start on the Halo novel by the same author. Good stuff, I couldn't stop reading it, had to force myself to stop and sleep like halfway through :eek:

Very interesting and well-written, seems a LOT like Ender's Game though.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Wow. Sorry, I can't agree with that. _Walden_ is a masterpiece of American orginal thinking. Henry Thoreau displays more courage and original thinking by the act and the writing of Walden, than almost any other American writer that comes to mind:

I really hope that someday you will change your opinion of Thoreau - once you do, you will be in some good company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_David_Thoreau

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I am reading Beowulf's last 50 lines or so -- the scene of Beowulf's funeral -- in the original Old English. It's moving, I'd say.

Interestingly enough, it was Tolkien, in his landmark essay on Beowulf, who made the case for nearly all of Beowulf to be a buildup to Beowulf's funeral scene.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Currently reading Fred Reed: A Brass Pole in Bangkok - A Thing I Aspire to Be

His first two books, The Great Beer Storm and Possum Squashing of 1962 and Nekkid in Austin are also worth reading, as is his Internet column at http://www.fredoneverything.net/ .

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Mie Oon Lordi - the official Lordi book. Holy hell but this book is made of pure awesome. *sighs happily*

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just finished This Perfect Day by Ira Levin. I'd strongly recommend it if you can find it - though it's out of print.

Yesterday I read Master of Murder by Christopher Pike. It was highly enjoyable in the way that all his books are - easy to read and with good ideas, with less than perfect execution (though the technical errors seem to be less than usual).

And the day before that I finally finished The Gormenghast Trilogy. This was way too difficult to read. It was certainly interesting and in places awesome, but maybe not worth the time invested...

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Just starting House of Chains

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    About to start the complete works of Jorge Luis Borges. That should keep me busy for a while...

10. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince (Again) Just to see if it really ended like that, or I just imagined it...

Why does this not surprise me? :p

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I LOVED Christopher Pike's Spookesville series. Damn shame it had to end, and I never even got to complete the set... His "Last Vampire" series was okay, the concluding book was excellent imo, one of the best book ending twists I have read.

Am now reading Night Fall by Nelson Demille, the 3rd book featuring his John Corey character, by far one of the funniest protagonists I have read. He and Fletch should be partners :D

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Balance Point on Saturday. I am home and the New Jedi Order books are going back to the bottom of the "to read" pile.

This morning I started on Road of the Patriarch by R.A. Salvatore. So far I am rather bored by it actually. Does anyone know if the King and his adventuring buddies in this and the previous book in the Sellswords series were from some other author's Forgotten Relms book(s)? I don't know why I think this might be the case instead of it just being Salvatore giving details about these people's lives.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Enagonios: I know that there's someone who comes out of the woodwork every now and then to support Christopher Pike with me - is that you, or someone else? :p

Currently reading Beyond Humanity by Justin Lieber - random sci-fi that I picked up for almost nothing. I'm liking it.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Road of the Patriarch today - what a mess. The plot is absolute drivel.

As I am getting a bit tired of so much dreck I have started rereading On Basilisk Station by David Weber. It is nice to be reading a really good book.

15. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

@JSBB, On Basilisk Station is great, as is The Honor of the Queen, the immediate sequel. I lost interest in the rest of the series, though.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have read all but the most recent book in the series - like just about every series out there the later books are not quite as good as the initial ones but even the worst book in the series is still pretty good IMHO.

Edit: I did a little research and it turns out that King Gareth Dragonsbane and his buddies ARE in fact pre-existing characters but the source is not quite what I had expected. It turns out that they are the pregenerated characters from a series of old AD&D modules. The backstory that Salvatore mentions is apparently taken directly from those modules.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The exception being Steven Erikson Malazan series where each book is better than the one before.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

So far I would agree with you Harbourby but I am still pretty early in the Malazan series. Hopefully I will be getting the next book for Christmas - if not I will just have to go out and buy it. That being said, Weber is up to around 17 books in the series so Erikson has a while to go before we can really make falling off comparisons.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@JSBB

King Gareth and Damara are pretty prominent in, iirc, the 2nd book in The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy: The Rite by Richard Lee Byers.

20. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Aikanaro: hm, Justin Leiber? Does it read anything like Fritz Leiber's books? (Justin's his son, after all)

Doesn't look like he's had anything published since the 80s, though. Abebooks if i want to get hold of his writings, then.

Currently mostly out of books. Rereading Stardust, Neil Gaiman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.