1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Clive barker's Abarat, but it is a bit childisch. The drawings are, well uncommon but nice. all whit all it is not bad, but no feast like a game of thrones.

An in between kind of story that you will forget after a few weeks. Sorry Clive.

Also halfway in Mary Gentle's Grunts. It is a fantasy meets marine core parody. An orc tribe gets their hands on the hardware like m16, cobra gunships you get the point. well, a lot of trial and error for our green friends.

3. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just began reading the "The Blue Star" by Fletcher Pratt.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Still making my way through "The Warrior Prophet" by R. Scott Bakker, so that when I've finished that, I'll be able to start the precious copy of "Bonehunters" by Steven Erikson that I got from the library.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You wont be disapointed man, Erikson keeps going strong and he is darn productive as well! One of those bricks every one and a half year or so. It is a bit different in structure though so be prepared for that, it covers a lot more characters than the previous books.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Merlanni

I found Abarat pretty boring. Of course it really is just an "intro" and much more happens in the next book. Still I didn't really take to it. His "Thief of Always" was awesome though. Weaveworld wasn't too bad either.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

MORE characters? Erikson's books already have more characters than the human mind can safely deal with. I'll have to get a couple of spare backup brains ready.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Metamorphasis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka. Metamorphasis itself is absolutely brilliant, and some of the other stories are pretty damn good too (well, one other one I'm a fan of - the others seem a bit pointless...)

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, more characters in *one* book, basically no new ones but pretty much all of the old ones get smoe action in this one.

10. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Going through my collection of Pratchett again, so I just finished Going Postal.
    You know who I love? Rincewind. Heck yeah, a coward in a dress.

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Reading the First book in "The Black Magician Trilogy"...The Mages Guild or something, can't remember specifics, but its pretty cool so far, I'm just over half way.

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm reading "Daughter of the Drow" right now. Pretty good book.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    going postal was nice. But it was a lot like the truth. The patrician should be made president of europe.

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Kate Fox - Watching the English.

I expected it to be a fun collection of stereotypes about the English, and it occasionally is, but on the whole it's a remarkably astute analysis.

15. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@Merlanni-I agree. Thud! was wicked good, but I think Pratchett should now stick with character's he's already introduced. Bring back Granny Weatherwax!

16. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

@ Dave.

Trudi Canavan is great. The series gets bettereach book. I've just read the first book in her next series, and it is good, though I can see some definite motifs she is developping as a writer.

17. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    re-reading some books of douglas addams, and starting on the belgarion saga written by david eddings, for the tenth time or so.

I swear, i've read all good fantasy books we have in our local library, and theres not enough new ones appearing. :(

18. Harbourboy

50 pages into "Bonehunters" by Steven Erikson. I have no idea what the heck is going on, but it's still awesome. Erikson really is the master of bringing depth to minor characters through dialogue.

xosmi - have you read all the Steven Erikson books yet? They rock.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Also, check out Greg Keyes' "Kingdoms of Throne and Bone" if you already haven't. Very good stuff, IMO.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Chandos

How many books are in the series and what is it similar to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.