1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"The Warrior-Prophet" by R. Scott Bakker.

It's no shock to read that this author lists Steven Erikson as his biggest inspiration. It's definitely the same sort of writing, but with less of the loving attention to minor characters.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bradley has written quite a few worthwhile novels, was a while since I read them but she shouldnt get forgotten when speaking about fantasy.

I need to pick up Bakker's second one, read the first and I really like the intentions of the author. He tries, he just isnt there. Hopefully he will be further along.

I am myself reading "Transformation" by Carol Berg, saw two of them in the library and picked them up. A positive surprise and is of yet quite intruiging.

3. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well, I just tried to read Hitchikers guide to the Universe while I was in the bathroom, but in my drunken state it didn't make too much sense. When I'm sober, I often wonder if the guy who wrote it was high.

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@joacqin I hope you have all 3 Transformation, Revelation and Restoration, I found it frustatting when I had to wait for Restoration. I hope you continue enjoying them as well she is different from other writers.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    _Grendel_ by John Gardner. This is a retread for me, but it is such a good book. This very dark, yet funny book is a must read for anyone who has more than a passing interest in _Beowulf_.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Chandos, I have to ask... is your ' key not working? :lol:

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Oh, sorry. The format I use is left over from my college days of having to email messages containing titles to literature professors. It's just a substitute for the italics.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @JSSB: I have to agree that King of Foxes is probably Feist's most uninspired book to date. I thought Exile's Return was much better, but the entire Conclave of Shadows series was one big disappointment for me. A shame, because I enjoyed almost all of his other work. He's not Tolkien, but his books used to be entertaining and well-written, and sometimes quite original.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I think the narrative is pretty good. But yeah, there is little tension because of how easily some of the story works out, especially the prison section. The lack of character development is the book's real weakness, however, IMO.

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Started reading the Elric books by wassname...Moorcock?

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Exile's Return yesterday. I didn't like it but it was better than King of Foxes. I think it would have been a much better book if it had just been about Kaspar trying to survive and return from exile and left out the epic storyline components.

I am probably not going to start on anything else until Monday. I am having a little trouble deciding what to read next so I am putting off the decision until then.

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Revenge of the Babysat - Bill Watterson

Took me all of 15 minutes to read it. Damn, I miss Calvin and Hobbes! :cry:

13. DarkStrider

Anne Bishop - The Black Jewels trilogy

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DS - I've been thinking about that one as well. Is it any good?

15. DarkStrider

It's a re-read for me I enjoyed them before and think they are are worthwhile because they are different from most fantasy books the society is matriarchal with the Males in service/bonded to the Females. Try it.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Thanks, DS. I will. :)

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just read the first 150 pages of The Mad Ship, after just finishing the first one. Man, I ccan see this baby keeping me busy for a long time. You could build houses out of these damn things.
    Pretty good stuff though, as always with Hobb. Wonderfully well written. I feel like I want to just grab a hold of Malta and throttle her already.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Malta rules! She's one of my favourite characters in any book. Even though she's a spoilt brat, Hobb manages to show us why she thinks the way she does. That is a rare gift in a writer.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Black Jewels is pretty good, though the names are annoying--Daemon, Saetan, Lucivar? Gag me with a spoon.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

After working at home Monday to Wednesday I finally started another book today. I am rereading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I plan to reread the first three books before tackling A Feast For Crows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.