1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For the life of me I don't know why but I grabbed Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind before I left for work this morning. I received it as a gift when it was first released in hard cover and it has been sitting there unread ever since.

So far it has been a step up from the previous book in the series but that isn't saying a hell of a lot. It is decidedly mediocre but given how low my expectations were that is actually a pleasant surprise.

Edit: I finished Pillars of Creation. I spoke too soon when I made my original post - this book turned out to be brutally bad. Intelligent characters frquently act like morons and the main character after being horribly gullible for the entire novel just has an Aha! moment at just the right time and figures everything out.

I have started on Marque and Reprisal by Elizabeth Moon. So far I am not impressed. The first book in this series was disappointing and this book looks to be even worse.

Hmm, I just checked my reading log and amusingly March did not mess up my reading pace despite my three weeks in China with almost no reading. I have been averaging eight books per month and as it turns out I finished eight books in the first ten days of March.

[ April 04, 2006, 22:10: Message edited by: JSBB ]

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Leaves from an Autumn of Emergencies

A compilation of diaries from (allegedly) ordinary Japanese folks circa WWII. Rather depressing, so far. The diary of a kamikazee pilot was...

I don't have the words, really.

3. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown...
    After Gates of Fire it feels cheesy :) But I don't have anything else to read so :/

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Mel - Here's a few good historical fiction novels I've read:

Shogun by James Clavell
    The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
    The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough
    The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    Death of the Fox by George Garrett

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

d'oh! :doh: forgot to list Shogun! Good thing you mentioned it Chandos

6. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Love you Chandos. Now let me just finish Angels and Demons and I'm all set :p

Ordered "Last of the Amazons" and "Spartan" by Massimo fellow should arrive next week

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

During my lunch break I finished Marque and Reprisal - it got better as it went along but it still wasn't great.

On the train home I will be starting Tuf Voyaging by George RR Martin.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Reading Ship of Magic, the first in the Liveship Traders trilogy...

... and it's already boshed my head out!

You're telling me the Fool was actually a lass? Give yourself up...

This is nowhere near as good as the Farseer books. I'm still trying to work out who the protaganist is... it appears to be Althea, but the book spends a lot of time with other characters as well.

it's certainly a much different writing style she's employed this time.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    No, it's better :p

Taking a break from the parade of depression that is wartime diaries and am reading Smoker by Greg Rucka. Pretty good thriller stuff.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    BA - Thanks for giving that away. :rolleyes:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No, it's better. What AMaster said.

And I don't think that any book truly reveals the real nature of the Fool.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Smoker--which was fun throughout--and am now rereading Dan Simmons' Ilium in preparation for its sequel, Olympos. It's even better than I'd remembered. I <3 Dan Simmons.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Illium and Olympus were two of those books you just happen to pick up at the library and you find yourself enjoying a lot. Very interesting and entertaining books.

Me I am now reading Bonehunters and man, Erikson rocks. It is just as good as the previous installments. Only slight criticism I have is that the story lines seems to be even more shattered in this one, instread of a few main ones as in the previous books everything is getting covered at once meaning we get a few paragraphs about everyone and everything in one big mess. It isnt bad really, just different. Every character from the previous books have gotten some action around 2/3 into the book and that must be good.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I disagree. It's a matter of preference HB. The Liveship Trader trilogy had more fantasy elements in it but imo the Farseer trilogy was far more involving.

Now starting Moving Pictures by Pratchett.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Tuf Voyaging on Saturday. It was quite enjoyable even if Martin belaboured the obvious biblical/ethical issues a little too much.

I started reading Talon of the Silver Fox by Raymond Feist on Sunday and I finished it this morning. I had previously read it but I wanted to refresh my memory before I read the rest of the series.

I will be starting King of Foxes either today or tomorrow on the plane flight home.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Ilium, onto Olympos. It's only gotten better.

17. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Jack Vance - The Demon Prince series

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Olympos. The ending was a bit of a let down, but it was otherwise excellent.

Started Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing. Good, but not great--so far. We'll see how it goes.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished King of Foxes - it turns out that I had read it before but it is such a mediocre book that I had forgotten all about it. Everything is much too rushed and works out far too easily for my taste. Oh well, I know that I have not read the last book.

I have started on Exile's Return. So far it has been a little more interesting than King of Foxes but it is too early to say for sure.

20. Michael Walker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've just finished "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmerbradley. A wonderful and epic tale about king Arthur and the ancient religions of great Britain. The caracter are interesting, especially their thoughts and feelings, excellent described in the book, are as if they were real persons with a real background and own story.
    I loved the fight between the pagan ways of Avalon and the Christian invaders. how it is presented by the view of a priest of the ancient religion it shows a totally different perspective of the Christianity and its mistakes, false believings and sake to convince the "disbelieving" people of Britain.
    The whole book has an anti-christian way of telling the story but in the end it changes into an understanding view of Morgan, a reconciliation of the 2 not-so different religions.

on a ranking from 1-10 it would be a 9!

im not yet that secure in using my english, you may forgive me from german introduced words^^

mfg
    Michael

ah yeah, forgot^^
    I'm reading "the crystal shard" now which I have started some months ago

[ April 12, 2006, 19:45: Message edited by: Michael Walker ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.