1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Finished Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn, now alternating between "Naruto" mangas and Zelazny's Amber novels.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I would like Hamilton a great deal more if he weren't so fond of resolving his plots with Deus ex machinas. At the end of Night's Dawn [alleged] trilogy, IIRC, he essentially gives the protagonist a magic wand. Unsurprisingly, the protagonist uses this "wand" to fix all the seeminly unfixable problems overwhelming humanity--in perhaps twelve pages. I believe Fallen Dragon ended in much the same way, albiet with the resolution solving the protagonist's personal problems rather than humanity's crises. I find that sort of resolution utterly unsatisfying.

Over spring break (that is, last week) I read three of the books in Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Man Who..." series. They confirmed my belief that Donaldson's most famous work--Thomas Covenant--is his weakest work. Which isn't to say I think the Thomas Covenant books are poor. I merely believe that the Gap and Man Who... cycles are significantly better.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I understand what you mean, but don't quite agree as far as Fallen Dragon in concerned. The power available to Lawrence was not really unexpected or introduced suddenly, in fact it was foreshadowed through the stories told by Denise to her students (which we find out later were history, not fiction). I actually found the end very enjoyable in that all the questions are answered, even though they required the cliche time paradox wherein Lawrence provided himself with the Prime which essentially enabled him to make the mistake he regretted and at the same time "correct" the mistake as an older and wiser (in mind, yet the same age physically)Lawrence. Yet the mistake was not erased; the events of those 20 years still happened and Lawrence was able to learn from his experiences.

In my opinion what makes good SF is how the human condition is explored during the story, and I thought Fallen Dragon did that very well. There is the political backdrop of corporation control and stakeholding; there is the expansion of humanity from Earth as a way of trying to change the mistakes made on Earth, yet most of the expeditions are tied to Earth due to the enormous expense and are thus subject to the "asset realization" missions from the corporations to which they are indebted; there are the resistance movements and their varying reasons for their resistance (as seen through the eyes of Lawrence during the missions he was on), and then there are the personal agendas of people like Lawrence, Denise and Simon. Like I said, I found it very rich and multi-layered; I suppose your mileage may vary :)

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm reading the Forever War by Joe Haldeman and then the list is in no order
    Deadhouse Gates - Steven Erikson
    The Demon Princes - Jack Vance (classic re-read)
    The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe (classic re-read)
    More than Human - Theodore Sturgeon (classic re-read)

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Oh, I found it rich and multilayered; the ending just pissed me off. That's how I've respond to all the books of his I've read, actually. I enjoy the novel, then I get to the end and emit a stream of profanity, along with words to the effect of "you've got to be kidding."

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Armageddon Rag was awesome imo. Just finished The Light Fantastic and am nearly through Equal Rites, both by Pratchett

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

finished both Equal Rites and Sourcery and am about to start on Guards! Guards! all by Pratchett

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool, I finally finished "Fool's Fate" by Robin Hobb. I thought it was brilliant. There were some really emotional bits toward the end. I can't believe that saga was actually nine books long, as it seems to have been over so quickly. Hmm, what to read now.....

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Cat's Eyewitness - Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Browne

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished "The Halfblood-prince" Rowling keeps going somewhat strong. Not brilliant literature in any way but worthwhile and they sure are page turners.

11. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Reading "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. Lord this book owns. Just one question, where does he get most of his facts from? Training, rituals, names, beliefs and such? Or is it just fiction?

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I agree, Gates of Fire is one of my favorite works of historical fiction, if not my favorite. AFAIK many of those details are factual. Not really sure where he gets his info, perhaps from other books. I did a search on amazon.com and there are a number of books that discuss early Spartan culture.

Do yourself a favor and skip Tides of War. After Gates of Fire it is crap. I have Last of the Amazons as well but I haven't read it yet. The reviews are quite good though, it's supposedly better than Gates. I seriously doubt it though.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    The complete Chronicles of Narnia

14. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well I'm blown away... Am like halfway through and am loving it. Think I might have got some historical fiction loving going on here :)

Could you guys recommend me some nice history books, never mind the period or theme. Like the idea that something is based at least loosely on facts :)

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    The Star Trek Encyclopedia

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Mel

I think that the most popular historical fiction author right now is Valerio Massimo Manfredi. You could check his stuff out. I've only read Spartan and Tyrant but they were both pretty good. Nowhere near Gates of Fire quality though.

Also, as I already mentioned, I suggest staying away from Tides of War, Pressfield's other book. It is, imo, crap. And although I haven't read it yet, reviews say that his last one, Alexander: Virtues of War was mediocre. It was better than Tides (not hard to be) but very much short of Gates. You could try out the Last of the Amazons though. Many people prefer it to Gates.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Historical fiction, or actual history books?

18. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well to be honest I think both :) Thing is I get so impressed reading Gates of Fire that I end up searhing Interent for the smallest of references mentioned :) Like Marathon battle for example. Took me a whole day (no kidding there) to have read enough so I can continue reading Gates :) Problem is that most of the stuff I've found are short and don't explain things in great detail like I would have liked it :/ So I'll hit our library later today and see if I can find some more there :) And this is just one reference. There are 100s that I would like to check up on :p

So even if I am to read fiction I would still have to read history books that I strangely find myself burning to read now :p

So fire away mates, no need to be gentle ;)

@Enagonios
    thanks mate I'll look this Manfredi fellow up. Damn shame that rest of Stevens books are not up there with Gates :( Wish I've read his books from worst to best perhaps :)

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Np :)

hehe, probably not advisable as you would probably get sick at the worst stuff and never even get to Gates :p

A good way to find similar books would be to look for Gates of Fire on amazon.com and then check out what "other users that bought this also bought:" I've picked up a number of good ones from there, the reviews of some users are also very helpful.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"About Time!" by Robyn Pearce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.