1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Re-reading the Dark Tower by Stephen King, in anticipation of the final volume in paperback.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Trading in Danger - it was decent but not as good as most of Elizabeth Moon's work. I was impressed that the main character basically dealt with her own small problems while the large scale problems were just a backdrop to the story. It was kind of fun to have a story where the characters don't "save the world" but instead just solve their own lesser problems. In fact, we never really do find out what exactly was going on with the large scale problem - which might infuriate some but I found it quite refreshing.

I have located Watch on the Rhine and continued reading it. So far I would have to say that it would have been much better if there was less combat and more focus on the ethics/politics/personnal reactions of the situation.

3. Newfie Banned

Hark by Ed McBain. More story from the Deaf Man.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Watch on the Rhine - after its little lull of being too combat focused in the middle it got much more interesting in focusing on how the characters reacted to facing horrible odds and bad situations.

The end was a real surprise actually. Up to that point the book didn't really change/add to the overall story of the main series - it was just telling the story of an event that had been briefly mentioned as having happened elsewhere during the course of the main story. Then, completely out of the blue, the final pages are a huge reveal.

I have started on The Road to the Rim by A. Bertram Chandler. It looks like it has some potential but it is still a little too early to tell.

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Finished LotR, now it's time to read some Discworld books (can't decide which one to read first) :D

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@undertaker the first one of course The Colour of Magic.

I'm re-reading the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay I needed some light relief from Covenant

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

going postal was pretty funny :D now reading Fletch by Gregory MacDonald, I love these books :p

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Road to the Rim - it was quite mediocre but at least it was short. Unfortunately that leaves me with another umpteen of the books in the series to read seeing as I bought them in bulk. Oh well, I paid next to nothing for them.

I have started on To Prime the Pump (book 2, still by A Bertram Chandler). So far it is better than The Road to the Rim but not good enough that I would recommend it to anyone.

Still, I have a glimmer of hope for this novel. If the plot goes where the title and early hints lead you to think it will go then the book will rank down in the gutter - however I can't imagine that the author would so badly tip his hand so I am hoping that he came up with something else that is creative and makes sense.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I just finished 'A Fortress of Grey Ice' Book 2 of the Sword of Shadows by J.V. Jones. It was pretty good, I thought, but when I went to look for Book 3 I discovered that it hadn't been written yet. Anyone know when Book 3 is coming out?

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A Feast for crows by Martin, finally. Nothing has really happened yet so my judgement is still out even though I have full confidence in Georgie boy.

11. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Fellowship of The Ring..

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

After a *very* satisfying Feast for Crows by Martin, I'm now reading Pyramids by Pratchett.

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Just started the Summer Tree - book 1 of the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Not bad so far, but reminds me a bit of the D&D cartoon...

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Just finished the Moonshae Trilogy by Douglas Niles. The first book was ok....the second book, Black Wizards, was much better and the third book, Darkwell, was quite excellent. All in all, a very good trilogy -- battling gods is always fun. :D

15. Newfie Banned

The Other Wind By Ursula Le Guin.

16. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Magicians Apprentice by R.Feist. My favorite writer is R.A.Salvatore, but Feist is OK too.

17. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

After picking it up and putting it down several times I finally abandoned "The Difference Engine" by Gibson and Sterling, 3/4 of the way through. Despite some vivid writing, it just didn't click for me. Disappointing, since I've admired other books by Gibson, particularly "Count Zero".

So I've moved on to the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian, partly because they must be really good if the cover quotes were even half-true, and partly because I loved "Master and Commander", the movie. The movie in fact comes close to doing the books justice, and the cover blurbs are not exaggerated. These are very fine novels, with breath-stopping storms, knockout battle scenes, subtle and complex characterizations, and great historical accuracy. I've read the first five with great pleasure: "Master and Commander", "Post Captain", "H.M.S. Surprise", "The Mauritius Command", and, at present, "Desolation Island".

18. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Good Omen by T.Pratchett :D

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Ivanhoe Gambit - Simon Hawke

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am now reading "Magician" by Raymond E Feist because I see that it was on the BBC Top 100 Books of All Time so it must be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.