1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'.

3. booger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am in a strange sort of limbo, stuck between The Lord of the Rings (which has been on hold far too long...its embarassing), Bulfinches Mythology and annoying required books for school. I just finished Naked Lunch, which I highly reccomend.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Whee! Reading for midterms. Odd thing is, I'm actually enjoying the reading. Or at least most of it.

Iliad - Lattimore's translation
    Herodotus's Histories, Penguin classics edition
    Thucydides's History of the Peloponnesian War (penguin)
    Plutarch's Rise and fall of Athens (penguin)

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Difference Engine by Willian Gibson and Bruce Sterling - very funky so far

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Since the Hobbit is completed time to take LotR now :D :p

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished 1632 yesterday - it was decent but nothing special.

I have started on Fiddler Fair - a collection of short stories by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon. The ones I have read so far have been okay but not really good enough that I would recommend the book.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

about to start going postal by pratchett

9. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just finished --This Immortal-- by Roger Zelazny. It was quite good and even funny. It could even have been a good repetition for those mythology tests, know this greek name and remember that one too. Besides, I wanted to have a girlfriend called Cassandra too.

Terry Goodkind's "first lesson of a sorcerer" is next.

10. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    GTA san andreas walk through guide for the ps2 :lol:

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Stoker's Dracula.

And I like it so far. :)

[ October 20, 2005, 20:22: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

12. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Sabriel -Garth Nix

Pretty good so far!

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Fiddler Fair - the last few stories were quite disappointing actually. The Holy Grail story seemed pretty much pointless. The Excalibur story was short but o.k. The title story was included (as far as I remember word for word) as part of a novel which Mercedes Lackey wrote after the short story was published - given that I have read that novel it kind of left the largest short story being kind of pointless to read. The next largest was from a shared world series that I had never heard of and found quite dull.

I have just barely started on Watch on the Rhine - by John Ringo and Tom Kratman. I have heard a lot of people complaining about the controversial subject matter of this book but given that none of them appear to have actually read it I am going to give it a fair chance. Basically the concept of the series is that the Earth is being invaded by an alien horde and humanity is greatly outnumbered and in serious need of combat veterans to form the core of its armies. The humans have received alien technology that allows people to be rejuvenated/de-aged. This particular novel deals with the German government and their difficult decision as to whether they should rejuvinate the Waffen SS and use them as cannon fodder/shock troops.

14. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I finished reading 'The Eliza Stories' by Barry Pain, which proved to be a blindingly funny read. I am now about to start 'Mistress of Mistresses' by E.R.Eddison (A somewhat more sombre tome).

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I seem to have misplaced Watch on the Rhine over the week-end so I had to grab another book this morning. As a result I have started on Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon. So far it has been decent but nothing really special. It is still in the early plot set-up and character establishment phase so I will wait until the plot actually starts rolling before coming to a definite opinion.

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

'The Third Twin' by Ken Follet.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Apeman! Don't give away the ending before the rest of us can read it! :D (lucky you :p )

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Charnel Prince by Greg Keyes - awesome - so far.

20. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Amerika by Kafka. In German.

But we've got to stay positive. It's better than die Blechtrommel. then again, everything is better than die Blechtrommel. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.