1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have just finished Paths Not Taken - Simon Green's latest Nightside novel. It isn't as good as the previous books in the series but it is still decent.

I have started on Drinking Midnight Wine, again by Simon Green. Mr. Green certainly loves writing about uber-characters and this book has them a plenty although making the main character an average guy who is completely out of his league is quite a departure from Green's usual approach

This one started a little slowly but it has really become quite interesting. I really don't have a clue where the plot is going, if it is going anywhere at all.

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Lady of the Lake (part of "The Wither") by A. Sapkowski. Also The Masakado Lesson by William Kennedy.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Drinking Midnight Wine. The plot never really amounted to much and the ending resolved itself way to quickly and easily. The sad thing is, I have pretty much come to expect that from Simon Green. The man can create great characters and dialogue but he seems to have real trouble with coming up with a good story to use them in.

I have started on 1632 by Eric Flint. I have barely started but it seems decent (but not great) so far. I picked up the novel mostly because the sequel was co-authored by David Weber so hopefully 1632 will continue to be, at least, decent and then 1633 will be better.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Finished Sharpes Battle by Bernard Cornwell the other day. Quality book, as always. Anyone who hasn't read his stuff, really should do.

Currently reading Deception Point by Dan Brown.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm re-reading the entire original nine Dragonlance books. Right now I'm on War of the Twins.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

done with abc murders as well as the secret of chimneys also by christie, man i love her books. i was going to start pratchett's monstrous regiment but i'm now thinking whether or not i should re-read one of my agatha christie books..

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The Cat Who Went Bananas by Lillian Jackson Braun. Only one other Cat Who book I haven't read and hopefully I'll be getting that one for Christmas. :)

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

decided to start monstrous regiment

9. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

'The Eliza Stories' by Barry Pain.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Guhing at The Hunchback of Notre Dame - which I'm not feeling at all inspired to read and has so far proved quite boring. No doubt it will end up swallowing one of my bookmarks soon and be added to the pile of 'books I can't be bothered finishing'.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Revenge of the Sith - Matther Stover

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ kuemper - You have my condolences. That has to be one of the most poorly written movie adaptations of all time - and movie adaptations normally are pretty bad to begin with.

13. Newfie Banned

David Gemmel's Ravenheart...do you think Braveheart gave him any incentive to write this series? I'm at page 10 and they got the kilts, claymores and name already.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Tom Paine: A Political Life by John Keane.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Blindness by Jose Saramago - it is exceptionally funky

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Catch a falling star by Ken McCoy

17. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

War of the Flowers by Tad Williams. Not bad so far, it almost reads like a Pratchett that's gone serious (not too serious, mind). It's much more entertaining than the quite morose Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. He still has the tendency to torture his main character though...

18. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit :D

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    _The War of the Flowers_ is a pretty good book, overall. Unfortunately, the second part of the book is not as good as the first, IMO.

20. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm reading The Idiot by Dostojevsky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.