1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Almost finished James Patterson's "The Lake House". It's the sequel to "When The Wind Blows" which is apparently his biggest-selling novel to date even though it's not an Alex Cross novel.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

"Fletch's Fortune" by Edgar MacDonald was awesome! Finished it in one sitting, and then right after, I finished "Rummies" by Peter Benchley in just another sitting haha. Am about to start "The Thief of Always" by Clve Barker.

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

The Skies of Pern.

@ DMC
    I like Chalker, probably the first Sci-fi author I read (Aged about 10 when I moved from the kiddies section of the local library to the adult section).
    I've got most of the different series he's written, is Kaspar's Box a stand-a-lone? Does it include his trade-mark metamorposis story line?

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Carcaroth - It wouldn't put my PM through, so I'll post what I wrote here.

Kaspar's Box is the third and last book of its set. The first two were Balthazzar's Serpent (or something like that) and Melchior's Fire.

No heavy body switching/body changing stuff like his usual, though. I was a little disappointed with the ending.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Lucky me, it seems that Dead in Dixie is actually an omnibus edition with three seperate mediocre novels in it. :nolike:

I have finished the first one (Dead Until Dark)and it was thoroughly poor - SPOILERS ahead - not that anyone should even consider reading the novel.

The murder mystery was resolved not by the characters actually solving clues but instead ... by the killer showing up out of the blue, attacking the main character while confessing, losing the fight, and then spewing a long line of confessions to the police along with a "I would have got away with it if the main character hadn't won the fight" rant? Come on, that has to be about the second lamest ending that I have ever come across! :rolleyes:

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I am reading Ultimate Spiderman, thank you very much...

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

James Patterson's "The Midnight Club".

Yes, one without a title referring to a nursey rhyme! He does write them that way occasionally.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's Prelude to Dune: House Harkonnen. I finished House Atreides today and Harkonnen is more Dune fun.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Rereading The Last Vampire series for probably the millionth time. Yes, I realise it's probably not all that good (as certain people have pointed out), but I like it anyway :)

10. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Chronicles of the Kencyrath, by P.C. Hodgell.
    Twisted, but a great read.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Aikanaro
    Ah, a kindred soul! Are the others any good? I only read the last one (#6) and it was awesome, what an ending...

Just finished Thief of Always by Barker in one sitting. Awesome. I'm on a roll, 3 books in 2 days, each in one sitting haha! I'm about to start "War of the Flowers" by Tad Williams

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Grand Crusade - Michael Stackpole

13. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Traitor General by Dan Abnett

I have taken a great liking to Black Library books these last years. For those of you who doesn't know what those are, it's about the warhammer and warhammer 40k settings.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Very worth getting - I imagine you wouldn't have understood most of the references without the backknowledge of the rest of the series.

And Yaksha is cool :)

And Kalika is a psychotic bitch, and is also cool :)

15. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am currently reading man and boy by Tony Parsons
    It has had my in fits of laughter :lol: and almost in tears too :cry:
    I would seriously recommend reading this book

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Aikanaro

Yup, lots of references to body snatchers iirc, an alchemist, her daughter (who was some kind of "Vampiric Neo"?) and a lover that she had to kill. It was one of the first fantasy books I'd ever read and it helped keep me on the genre. Did you see what was coming in the ending? I was blown away, whatta twist.

Keeping on topic, I'm still at the very beginning of War of the Flowers.

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Re-reading the Serpentwar Saga, also still reading Das Kapital, the Bible, and several historical books about the WWII and books about and with guns.

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Had to switch to Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" because I had it reserved at the library and it's so heavily reserved I only have it for two weeks.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Aldazar

Don't sweat it. I got through it in 2 days, you wont be able to put it down :)

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, taking my time (sorta, they're short books, so it's hard not to finish them if you start reading), I'm now going through Evil Thirst. Then Creatures of Forever. And hopefully by then I'll be too busy NaNoing to be reading at all. And if that's not the case, well, I'll suck - and probably reread LotR...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.