1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolution Gap - Alaistair Reynolds
    As of yet not as good as the previous ones but still a very good read.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just Started Sign of the Unicorn in the Amber series.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Dying of the Light - it did get somewhat better as it went along but I can't say that I liked it all that much. I wasn't overly impressed with the plot, it was very uneven in its pacing and most of the action portions seemed out of place as if they were included mostly to wake up readers who otherwise would be falling asleep. I think my main problem with the book would have to be that I was never emotionally invested in any of the characters - the story was too short and the characters were too one dimensional. That the main character was one of the least interesting ones in the book probably didn't help much either.

I have started on The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass. I have barely started but somehow I already have the feeling that my recent streak of unsatisfactory books isn't going to be ending with this one.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Rereading The Last T'En trilogy once more. It has this generally pleasant atmosphere about it that makes it so likeable, despite some small shoddinesses.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That one is really bad JSBB, I read the first one and started the second one before throwing them away and it was a complete waste of time. Some of the worst garbage I have read.

6. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sun TzuĀ“s Art of War, in Portuguese.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I read during my lunch break and I am up to the 115 page mark and I have to say that so far we have nothing but cliches. That might be o.k. if the quality of writing were better, but it isn't. Just thinking about the prophecy is enough to make me wince.

Sigh, my last four books I have read have been mediocre, absolutely terrible, poor, and now another terrible one. I can't remember the last time I picked such a lousy string of books.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *cough* really trashy category romance kind of things.... *cough*

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Argh. The Wayfarer Redemption. I despised that book. JSBB, do yourself a favor and stop reading it, now. It doesn't get any better.

I went back and read Lord Foul's Bane, by Donaldson. This time, I managed to finish it, and actually liked it. I do prefer the Gap series, though, because while Thomas Covenant is a very captivating character, all the characters in the Gap series were equally intriguing. The supporting cast in Foul's Bane just didn't do it for me.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Still wading slowly through 'Midnight Tides'

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The same here. Only it's Deadhouse Gates. I've almost finished it, but it's still slow going. Gardens of the Moon was much better, IMO, but from the standpoint of having a swiftly moving plot. Deadhouse Gates moves slower, but the characters are a little more developed as a result. All things considered, Gardens was the better book. A little bit of that desert tribal, armageddon stuff, goes a long way for me.

12. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I've been on ch.1 of House of Chains for two weeks, just haven't had time and I promised myself i have to reread the whole series before I can get Midninght Tides. :mad:

13. Newfie Banned

First to Die by James Patterson. It is utter drivel. What happened to this guy? The man who wrote "Kiss the Girls" is now writing from the perspective of a woman and is writing romance novels. Granted, the serial killer theme has reached overkill status, but this seems like an extreme change. Maybe he is trying to expand his horizons and is cross dressing as well. Count me out on the rest of his stuff.

14. Arabwel

Media:
    The Torment of Others, by Val McDiarmad. I am absolutely in love with her books, just saddened that I skipped #3 in my impatience and inability to find it...

15. Newfie Banned

Naked Prey by John Sandford. Good as the rest of the Prey novels so far....

Hey Arabwel, I am a Val McDermid fan too. Not long finishing the Distant Echo. Pretty good but not as good as the Tony Hill stuff. I give her credit for a female mystery writer, she gets as bloody and as nasty as the men.

You like her stuff, check out John Sandford's Prey novels, Micheal Connelly and Denis Lehane as well. Connelly wrote Bloodworks with Clint Eastwood and Denis Lehane wrote Mystic River.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Just finished Laurell K. Hamilton's first Anita Blake book, "Guilty Pleasures," and it was surprisingly fun. I'm not sure if I want to say it was "good", though it was a lot better than I expected, but it was certainly entertaining.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well I finished the Wayfarer Redemption - I would say that it improved somewhat in the second half although that only moved it up from the terrible to the poor range.

Unfortunately, I never thought to take book two (Enchanter) out of my briefcase and swap it with something else so it was all I had to read this morning after I finished book one. Oh well, at least I get to extend my streak to five.

Book two is actually showing hints of mediocity although it still falls pretty solidly in the poor range.

18. Arabwel

Media:
    Oh, I would rate anything involving Tony Hill amongst my favorites - got to love a guy as twisted as he is and who's ont he side of the good guys :D

19. Newfie Banned

I picked up "Revenge of the Sith" yesterday and am speeding through my designated reading to get to it.

20. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In the last two months i've read Da Vinci Code, Illuminatti, Animal Farm, Understanding Tsomsky (a book about both areas he has served so well, linguistics and politics), Foucalts Pendulum and some for my job. Now i think i will start reading the Kaballah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.