1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Currently half-way through Stephen King's "Salem's Lot", not bad at all. Only decided to finally read it now because Father Callahan is in the Dark Tower series as well as this.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Just started with the Clash of Kings by you know who.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Read Darwin's Blade by Dan Simmons, and it's every bit as good as his Hyperion series was. Damn, that man can write.

Read Killer by David Drake and Karl Wagner, was a decent pulp scifi piece.

Read Confidence Game and the Bright and the Dark, both by Michelle Welsch. Liked CG, thought B&D wasn't anything special.

Read A Song For Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, liked it quite a bit, so I picked up the Fionavar Tapestry as well.

Also finally finished the Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman. Was pretty good, if not quite up to Martin's level.

Now, I'm currently reading the Pillars of the World trilogy by Ann Bishop. Good, but not quite as good as her Black Jewels.

Jebus. I need to get out more.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@BTA

My mistake, I just saw that lame "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" so it kinda got stuck :o

@JSBB

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm around 1/4th through the book and I'm really enjoying it. I thought I was going to be bored to tears.

@AMaster

could you compare Guy Kavariel Kay's writing style to somebody? I've been thinking of picking up something by him or Valerio Massimo Manfredi for some time now but haven't really hard any big recommendations.

5. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am currently reading 1984 by George Orwell

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, now thats one depressing book :sosad:

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yep, 1984 is, without any competition whatsoever, the most disturbing and depressing book I have ever read. I don't think I could find the words to adequetly describe how depressing the ending is.

@ Enagonios - is it Tailchaser's Song that you are agreeing with me about about?

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yes it is, sorry if I seemed kinda vague.

Anyways, I'm still not done with it, but after hearing HB praise it so much, I decided to get the Farseer trilogy by Hobb. Unfortunately they only had Book 1 and Book 3 :mad: so I'm probably going to have to order Book 2 from Amazon :(

I know this is related to the Tawny Man trilogy (which I can pick up anytime) but is it also related to the liveship trilogy? Because I haven't seen that anywhere..

9. Newfie Banned

Reading the CSI series of books - not bad, like comic books for adults without the pictures.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah, maybe I'll reommend them to my mom, she's a real CSI nut. It's the pn;y thing she'll watch aside from those old Fred Astaire movies and stuff (which can be entertaining once in a while i gotta say :p )

11. Newfie Banned

Hey, moms' got taste.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Enag, 'fraid not. I can't think of any writer with which to compare Kay. So, I'll say; pick up one of his stand-alone novels in mass market form. Worst case, you're out $8 and a few hours of your life. Best case, you'll enjoy yourself.

Edit: oh, also, the Farseer Trilogy is related to the Liveship Trilogy, but only insofar as they both share the same world. I only realized they were in the same world while I was reading the last of the Liveship books ;)

'Course, I'm an idiot, so...

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When you read the Tawny Man trilogy you will find out that there is at least one over arching storyline, perhaps the main story line even if it doesnt emerge as that until the last trilogy.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well well. I suppose I'd best read the Tawny Man pretty soon. Glad I read Liveship first, too :)

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Just finished Tailchaser's Song and enjoyed it a lot. Could've done with a better ending though..

Anyways, Now I really will be reading the Remains of the Day as the book report is due in a few days :bang:

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading King's Gunslinger books, they are not bad, not bad at all.

17. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Just finished the gunslinger books, which I enjoyed immensely.

Now reading "The Poison Master" by Liz Williams

18. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Coming to the end of the new Thomas Covenant book...its so cool, I don't want it to end.

19. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What's it like Dave? I've put it in my basket at Amazon for the next drop, but I haven't finalised the order yet.

Reading Deception Point by Dan Brown at the moment (Don't anyone say: DaVinci Code, I'm reading his books in the order he wrote them ;) )

He tells an excellent story, though he does drag out some parts to the point of farce.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yeah, well it was a step-up from Digital Fortress, that's for sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.