1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Started on The Three Musketeers - it rocks :) I am rather hoping it doesn't go the road of Don Quixote, though (big long ramble about nothing and chivalry).

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Reading 'Deep Black', the latest book by Andy McNab. Quite a good read.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Aikanaro - The Three Musketeers is actually pretty good as staying fast paced and not digressing into long commentaries.

4. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

'God', by Alexander Waugh.

5. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I'm on The Thousand Orcs now, nearing the end of my Drizzt re-reading.

6. Newfie Banned

Something really deep - "Joe Weider's Ultimate Bodybuilding." Great tips for nutrition and strength training to all who are interested.

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well finished the three books of a Song of Ice and Fire. Why is Feast for Crows taking so long!

I'm giving Hobb's Liveship trilogy another chance. After that or if I can't get into it I'll be reading the second book of the malazan book of the fallen.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Apeman - do both. Deadhouse Gates rocks.

9. booger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm reading through the Lord of the Rings, I'm about dont with the Fellowship right now.

10. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm curently reading Rebel Dream by Aaron Allstone.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have finished Nightseer - it started rough but with some interesting potential but it really started falling apart the further I got into it. Towards the end it was getting so absurdly implausible that all you could do is :rolleyes: and wish for it to be finished. :nolike:

I have started on Changer of Worlds by David Weber and Eric Flint. So far it has been really good but I can't help but think that just about anything would seem good after Nightseer. ;)

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finished Extinction from the WotSQ. Definitely my favorite FR series. Trying to bring myself to read Remains of the Day but it's so hard with Fevre Dream lying unread :eek:

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Changer of Worlds - not bad, most of the stories were pretty good - the fact that Weber himself wrote most of them led to a much more even quality of writing than the previous books in the series.

I have started The Service of the Sword by Weber and assorted others. Not bad so far, I am only on the first story but the author has managed to be pretty consistent with Weber's novels in terms of style and characterizations.

14. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The Magician by Raymond E. Feist

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Service of the Sword - fairly standard Weber stuff which is actually pretty interesting giving that Weber didn't write a lot of it.

I have started on Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin. I must confess that I am not particularly impressed so far - the parts talking about the steamboat captain and his boats have been decent but the vampire elements to the story have been quite dull so far.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh, that makes me feel better about putting it on hold :D

May start Tailchaser's Song by Tad Hamilton instead.

(Still on Remains of the Day, trying to find the movie :/)

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am reading "The story about the wondrous love" by Carl-Johan Vallgren, it is about a malformed dwarf who can read minds and who lives during hte 19th century. Quite good.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! Tailchaser's Song is by Tad Williams, not Hamilton.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Finished 'House of Chains' and now taking a break from Malazan and reading the much shorter 'Halfling's Gem' by R. A. Salvatore.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Enagonios - I would definitely recommend Tailchaser's Song over Fevre Dream.

After another 1/2 hour of reading during my lunch Fevre Dream looks like it is going to be focusing more on the boring vampire bits, which are not showing any signs of becoming any less boring.

On the other hand, I found Tailchaser's Song to be quite refreshingly quirky, unusual, and entertaining.

Edit: I finished Fevre Dream - despite the very slow start, the last half of the book was actually pretty good. As per what we have come to expect from A Song of Ice and Fire, Martin appears to feel no remorce for the generally poor outcomes and sudden deaths that he subjects his characters to.

I have started A Crown of Slaves. Despite the fact that it is being sold as a completely new series in the Honor Harrington universe, it is really a full novel sized Worlds of Honor story.

You could practically complete a tick list of the characters and events from the last two Worlds of Honor books within the first 50 pages or so.

That isn't to say that it is bad, in fact I am enjoying it so far.

[ March 09, 2005, 15:01: Message edited by: JSBB ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.