1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Althea does start out as a sheltered, spoiled girl. So that's intended ;)

I actually ended up liking Wintrow, Etta, Althea, and Brashen quite a bit by the end of the trilogy.

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I found that my loyalties shifted completely during the three books. I started by hating Malta but by the end I grew rather fond of her. On the other hand, I quite liked Kennit until a certain moment in book 2/3 (can't quite remember). Quite confusing...

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Heh - quite often at the beginning of the book I wanted to totally strangle Malta ... but towards the end she was one of the most interesting characters.

The characters develop well in those books - it's not as fast paced as The Farseer Trilogy mayhap, but is good in a totally different way.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I started out liking Kennit, then disliking him to then like him again. Sure he is a pure bastard but he has certain rogueish qualities which are rather cool and the whole Etta/Kennit/Amulet situation is just too funny.

5. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Currently reading "Nuklear Age" by Brian Clevinger (writer of 8-Bit Theater) for the second time in the past two and a half months. It's simply an amazing book, outstanding humor and (mostly later on) plenty of gripping drama as well. I can honestly say that its ending (consisting of the last several 'chapters' together) is probably the most unexpected thing I've ever read, though on re-reading it I do see parts of it foreshadowed in earlier chapters.

Again, it's an excellent book, I recommend it to any and everyone. It's a bit pricy, though, as (to my understanding) it lacks a 'mainstream' publisher. The author also had two editors die on him, and as a result there are numerous misspellings in places, but it does very little to detract from the novel.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well almost finished my reread of A storm of Swords. I can't believe this story, it's that good. I'll try to finish the first of the liveship after this, it seems it is well like here.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@apeman

have you read "Fevre Dream" also by GRRM? I just got it and was wondering if it's any good.

I'm halfway through Pressfield's Tides of War but it's just going too slowly so I'm probably going to have to put it aside for now and start on "The Remains of the Day" for school already :/

Has anyone read "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell"? I've been hearing good things about it.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fevre Dream is good, it is really good. Not quite aSoIaF standard but not far away.

I am reading Redemption Ark by Alaistair Reynolds now and it appears to be just as good as his other books. Some of the best SF I have read.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished A Hymn Before Battle - it was o.k. but not great. It looks like the series has the potential to get better but this book was very much an introduction with a number of seperate plot strings that had very little holding them together. The end sets up for two of the main plot strings to meet up in the next book so it looks like this one was really written as a stepping stone to get the series started.

I have started on The Serpent's Shadow my Mercedes Lackey. I am about half way done and so far it has been quite good.

10. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Paul Auster - Book of Illusions

dispensable...

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Foreigner - C.J. Cherryh

I can't decide whether I really like or really hate this book

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have finished Serpent's Shadow - the woman's suffrage movement content was a little much in one scene but otherwise it was fairly decent. I think Lackey went a bit overboard at the last minute trying to press the Snow White connection - it was nice and subtle until the last 40 pages or so and then she just started throwing it in our faces.

I have started on Against the Tide by John Ringo. So far it is better than the second book but certainly no where near as good as the first in the series. I can see that we will be having a heaping serving of the old cliche plot of the inexperienced aristocratic idiot military commanders screwing up and the experienced tactical genius main characters coming in and saving their bacon. Oh well, hopefully it will at least be well told.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ended up finishing Tides of War after all. Nothing Great. Hmm, this is 2/3 bad Pressfield reads for me already (Legend of Bagger Vance being a tremendous waste of time). Since I already have it, I'm going to give Last of the Amazons a shot, but if it isn't even nearly as good as Gates of Fire was, I'm not going to bother picking up Alexander: Virtues of War.

I've just started reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day for school.

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I'm half way through "The Amber Spyglass" by Phillip Pullman.

Next on my list is the new book in the Thomas Covenant series! Yay!

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Foreigner, decided I liked it. A lot.

On to Daughter of the Blood, by Anne Bishop. It's pretty good, though some of the names are cringe-worthy (lord of hell is Saetan, his sons are Lucivar and Daemon).

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Dave

is that series of Pullman's any good? Some friends of mine have been telling me that it's pretty good.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Nearly finished Maskerade by Pratchet :)

18. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Just started Temple by Matthew Rielly.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Against the Tide the plot was every bit as cliche as I expected. Overall I would say that it was decent but certainly nothing special.

I have started Nightseer by Laurell Hamilton. It was her first book and not surprisingly is a little rough around the edges but so far it has been o.k.

20. Robert the unwise Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've just started reading (again) The Redemption of Althalus, by David Eddings. IMHO, probably his best book so far - but I like almost all his work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.