1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    You can say that again. Here's the scene: Based on what Harbourboy and Joacqin have been saying about Erikson (both of these guys know what they are talking about, and if they both like it, I figure it has to be good), I decide to check Erikson out.

About a week ago, I take a lunch break over to the large Barnes & Nobles bookstore by the mall; head to the fantasy adventure section. And to my disappointment there is NOT A SINGLE TITLE by Erikson in the section. So I think OK, I will just order it from Amazon. But anyway I stop at the service desk just to ask, and the lady says, after scanning the computer, "that's special order." Then she says, "wait a minute, I think it's in the NEW RELEASE section. I mean, I know this is a fairly old book also. But a moment later she comes back with a nice new shiny copy, hands to me and says: "Yep, a new release." And I say: "Thanks, I had no idea it was so new." :)

2. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I am reading Brian Jacques Mossflower series, I am currently on The Bellmaker. I know these are like really big kids books what with the talking animals and such, but I have always enjoyed them. There's a lot of stuff in there that may just motivate me to create a mod or two for BG2 or IWD 1 or 2 if thats possible.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Just finished Jhon Grisham's 'The Broker'. Not his best by far, still pretty good.

I found a parody of Harry Potter on the net.
    Dumbledore is the villan of this piece and Harry gets along well with Dudley. Gotta find time for it.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Shrikant

is that the one by the people that did "Bored of the Rings"? I've seen it around, forget the title though.

I just finished Daniel Silva's A Death in Vienna, the 5th installment in his Gabriel Allon series, and it was freakin' amazing.

Also, I was finally able to find a copy of Steven Pressfield's Tides of War so I'm going to start that tonight and read that before the Last of the Amazons.

I have to read Kazuo Ishiguro(sp?)'s "The Remains of the Day" for school. IIRC there was an Anthony Hopkins movie version of it. Has anyone read this? How is it?

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Reading Sword of Shannara. This is the first thing by Terry Brooks that I read and if it continues in the vain of the first 100 pages it might well be the last...

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really enjoyed The remains of the day when I read, bizarre and somewhat funny. The main character is so extremely absurd.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

@Enagonios
    I dont know. The author signs off as Harry Writer and says he is accessable at AIM. I only have harry potter book 5 & 6.

8. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Assassin's Apprentice to start. As Alice said, 'curiouser and curiouser...'

Just finished an Australian real-life story called "The Rabbit Proof Fence". It's set in the 1930s and it retells the life of a few young aboriginal girls who escaped from a "school" and walked home through the Western Australian desert for about 2 months. It's really an amazing story.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Joacquin

Did you see the movie? If you did, do you think that seeing it may help me understand the book more? I have to write a comprehensive book report on it :/

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have not seen the movie, but the book is quite short and very easily read.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The movie is superb, and yes, it will help.

12. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Just finished reading Legend of Huma by Knaak. I thought it was a wonderful story, about a hero whom I've heard bits and pieces about from other books. This tale definitely filled in the gaps. Funny how the Raistlin character is so much like Magius. ;)

Just started up Stormblade now and as I'm only in the first chapter, it's hard to judge at this point -- but it seems well written and is definitely holding my interest.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished the Harry Potter series and have started in on Apocalypse Troll - yes yet another military sci-fi book by Weber.

Not bad so far although I have just reached the end of the setting the stage portion of the book so I really don't know whether the meat of story will be any good yet.

14. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

@Spellbound - Legend of Huma is one of my favorite reads in the Dragonlance series. I haven't read Stormblade in a long time, and can't remember if it was any good or not.

I've been storming my way through the whole Drizzt saga for the second time, and am now just starting the Sea of Swords. I'm going to finish up with The Hunter's Blades trilogy, then retire ol Salvatore for awhile. I'm looking forward to reading some George R. R. Martin next.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Got through Ship of Magic and Mad Ship, and just started Ship of Destiny, by Robin Hobb. I think I'm enjoying these more than I did the Farseer trilogy.

Apocalypse Troll...I read that about half a year ago. The first part was a lot of fun--nothing like an alien warship hitting an AWACs with a 50-kiloton nuke to make you giggle. The rest of the book was alright, but nothing special.

16. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I've been re-reading the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout. The standard he maintained through 40 odd years of writing them is amazing. I'm also about halfway through Dickens' "Nicholas Nickleby", spoiled a bit by giving in to my daughter's insistence that I watch the movie.

17. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Plato's Republic.

It's just me or if i met Socrates i would punch him in the face...the guy is annoying as hell. :D

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Apocalypse Troll, I thought it was pretty good actually, and I am starting on A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo.

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

@Amaster

I'm 200 pages into ship of magic but I had to put it down in favor of a storm of swords reread. It really does not grab as the farseer trilogy did. Absolutely no tension at all so far and I'm beginning to dispise Althea and respect Kyle, which can't be a good thing right?

20. joacqin

Media:
    I really love the Liveship trilogy but I am unable to reread them, they are extremely hard to read. At least they were for me, Hobb manages to be ten times as sadistic towards her characters as she has ever been towards Fitz. That paired with there not really being any character to like and identify with but plenty to absolutely loathe makes them for me to be a chore to read. All this said I still think they are great books, in a way better than the Fitz books as they have a little larger scope and depth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.