1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Aikanaro

Check out Stardust, it's pretty awesome. kinda like a fairy tale but presented in a different way.

@Chandos

Yeah, some parts had me in tears :cry: Have you read any of his other novels? Tides of War and Alexander: Virtues of War?

@el timor

I only have the 1st 2 books because the only copy of the 3rd book I've seen is in hardcover, what a pisser.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    American Tabloid - Ellroy

Pretty gritty and awesome so far.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux, rather good, much better than expected.

Read the first chapter of Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Springwar - Tom Deitz

Surprisingly good series. Not of Martin's calibre, but what is?

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A storm of swords by GRR Martin

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Not yet, but I will put them on my list.

7. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm reading a set of books based on the Halo games. Really good, surprisingly, since I figured they would be pure tripe :p

8. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The End of the Modern World by Romano Guardini, very very inspiring and confusing as well :)

[ January 25, 2005, 21:16: Message edited by: Kelvon Shadowmane ]

9. netdiver Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For christmas, I had asked for and recieved a stack of forgotten realms collections by R.A. Salvatore. I have read a small pile of them already and admit I am most fond of books containing Drizzt, but even more interesting than reading about Drizzt, is reading about goings on in his former homeland. I'm hoping the war of the spider queen series deals more with that. Right now I am reading Legacy of the Drow. My only complaint is that Cattie-brie is annoying as heck.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@The kilted Crusader

have you read the one by Eric S Nylund? I was thinking of picking it up bec. he's one of my favorite (although relatively unknown) authors, but I wasn't looking to get into a series. Are they each stand-alone novels or are they part of one hugre story? (i.e. WotSC, etc.)

@netdiver

not to worry, WotSC is awesome. until book 3 (which is all they've got in paperback right now) at least.

11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Enagonios: There are two by Nylund, The Fall Of Reach and First Strike. I've only read Fall Of Reach, and it is really good. I just started the second in the series which is by a different author, a William Dietz, so I haven't gotten round to First Strike (The third in the series).

12. Newfie Banned

The first five chapters of The Ashes of Alladag by Michael J. Schweitzer. It is the second in a trilogy, the first book being "The Curse of Garnel Ironheart". It is written by a Canadian doctor who rehashes a world he and his friends created playing Dungeons and Dragons when he was younger. Pretty good stuff to, compared to the tripe WOC is putting out lately.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The Law of The European Union: Substantive and political law :rolleyes: :mad: :bang:

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Heinlein

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Ashes of Victory a couple days ago and have started on the next book in the series - War of Honor. It has gotten off to a really slow start so far but it is starting to pick up a little speed.

I am a little disapointed by the heavy handed way that Weber appears to be persuing in order to restore the series to the several books ago status quo.

16. Ox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Oil Factor

by Stephen and Donna Leeb

a research book on the oil industry from a world wide view perspective

worth your reading time if you're into science, alternative energy, greenesss, or investing.

:cool:

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Ship of magic by robin hobb

18. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Earthsea Quartet.

Not happy with the labyrinth of the tombs of Atuan.
    Through the simple expedient of always following the wall on one side (either right or left) you can find your way to the great treasure, then obviously back out again.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Carcaroth - That is one series where I am definitely in the minority in that I really didn't like books two or three at all. I really enjoyed the first book but I found the next two to be just plain dull.

20. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I've got 35 pages to go to finish book three. I'd probably agree with you, the books are all fairly unrelated to one another & I feel they've all come across as short stories. (Not dismissing short stories but I prefer lengthy tomes & story's)
    I think a lot more could have been made from the character and world.

Also just checked the definitions of labyrinth/maze and this one qualifies as a maze.
    www.labyrinthos.net/typology

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.