1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I'm currently reading Genesis of the Grail Kings - The Pendragon Legacy of Adam and Eve by Sir Laurence Gardner. It's a book about the origin of mankind from a religious point of view. The writer doesn't think the origin of mankind started in Genesis, but long before that, with the descending of the Nephilim (the ascended).

Very nice perspective. I like these kind of theories and love reading such books.

3. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It really raises some interesting things about Christianity and the Pagen believes.

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wamphyri! - Brian Lumley. My friend lent me the frist one (Necroscope) which I loved but he kept forgetting to get around to lend me the second; however he has now remembered to do so.

5. WiZinc Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Harry potter 1-5 :p
    I find that I don't like it very much, as it's too much made for kids, IMHO, as it has no violence or any of that sorts so it's frustrating to read it because I find it lulls(?) you into "oh, goody, goody will win, yeah yeah" as opposed to "suffer and you might live, not for children"...

Hmm... I lost my red line...

I read it to get to the fandom that pick off from fifth book. Or something, not really on my sharpest tonight.

I really enjoyed Hyperion and Farseer stories as they are more 'real' to me as there is: cursing, suffering, sex, misery and that sorts of things ie. not for kids. That is my preference, that, or I'm just odd. ;)

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

@Benan

I'm reading Angels and Demons by Brow currently, great book. Normally I'm not into this cult scene but it really is an involving book. I'm about halfway through and will pick up the Da vinci code afterwards.

7. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod - Ein Wegweiser durch die deutsche Grammatik"

It is quite impossible to translate the title into english - let me just say that it is a book about german grammar, and a funny one too.

(For example, there is a kind of "Aposthrophe-Epidemic" going around in germany. Usually we don't use many apostrophes, but some people seem to be too stupid to use the few one we do use correctly. They even write "nicht's" instead of "nichts". "Nichts" means "Nothing", and putting an apostrophe into it is like writing "Nothin'g".)

8. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

"How to Paint like the Old Masters", by Joseph Sheppard.

An extremely interesting book, utterly awe-inspiring and full of step-by-steps for the techniques employed by Durer, Titian, Veronese, Caravaggio, Rubens, Hals, Rembrandt and Vermeer.

9. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The Soulforge, book #1 of the Raistlin Chronicles by Margaret Weis. She's always been a favorite author of mine and Raistlin my favorite character, so I can hardly go wrong with this book.

But I'm learning a lot about her writing. I think I have finally figured out why I feel so comfortable with her works...or what it is that's so comfortable about her style -- it's that she completes each scene she writes. By that I mean, she explores all aspects of a scene -- thought, emotion, juxtaposition, fact and relevance. It can be a simple convo or a walk across a rock strewn field....it's as if each scene is its own complete piece of writing -- fully balanced, telling its own story. It's the balance of her words that is suddenly becoming very apparent to me. I've read a lot of her works, but am just discovering this now....perhaps I knew it all along, but just couldn't put my finger on it.

Anyways, the book is magnificent, chronicling Raistlin's early years. It's like coming home to a house full of old friends...Raist, Tas, Tanis, Kit, Flint, etc.....a superb read. :thumb:

10. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I have been on and off the Farseer trilogy for a long time now, I really want to get into the assassins quest and then bounce onto the liveship trilogy... probably wont happen though... I have such a short attention span...

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    "The Golems Eye" by Johnathen Stroud.

12. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

New Spring written by Robert Jordan.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The Da vinci code by Dan Brown. Love the first Langdon book.

Pissed of about Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon in the movie though :mad:

14. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (though I read the DaVinci Code first).

March Upcountry by John Ringo & David Drake (e-book on my work PC).

15. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Angels and Demons

16. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Halfway book two of the Wheel of Time series, amazing read till now.

17. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Finishing 'The Two Swords' by R.A. Salvatore for me.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Have just finished the two first books in Conn Iggulden's Emperor series. Highly entertaining but he dramatizes it too much and change way too much from what really happened. Things which really doesnt need to be changed to make a good story. Iggulden has Caesar be involved in *everything*, it is not an historical novel but a novel very loosely based on real events. I actually think the books would be better if it wasnt so exaggerated, still entertaining though.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Sort of reading Cold Mountain just now but I'll probably switch to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles or back to WoT.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just finished The War of the Flowers - kinda cheesy, and the plot and various other things reminded me of something that I expect to find on fictionpress or the like.
    It was decent, but, well, meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.