1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where did the Otyugh come from?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes but it would have been cool to talk your way out of getting eaten by just saying "Hi" and "Sorry to disturb you. Just passing through. No worries." or something like that :)

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Irenicus most likely instructed it to eat anything that comes through the door, so the only thing you'd be passing through is its digestive tract either way.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    LOL. I think if I saw 6 ARMED people come through one of my doors I might at least taunt them :D

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I suppose so :p
    I actually cannot recall any of the otyughs speaking to your party in BG2, the only 3 instances where you run into one i can think of are in irenicus' dungeon, the temple district sewers (I've had one spawn pretty near to where the sea troll is on multiple occasions) and on the dárnise keep roof.
    So i figure they were just added as flavor monsters,and the whole sentient, capable of speaking common thing was omitted.

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Nope. No communication :(
    I've never seen one on the de'Arnise roof just out in the area between the front doors and the gate. But then again I have only been to the roof a couple of times. I always forget to go there :(
    I have meet the others you mention though as well as one other that spawns instead of the carrion crawler (kinda random which one) in the end of the tunnel going towards the door to the eye of the unseeing. I think that's what it's called. The eye of the unseeing?

Does that make sense? I have trouble explaining things some times :(

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There are plenty of intelligent monsters in IE games that aren't interested in communicating.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    There is that 1 beholder in the Sahuagin city. It is guarding the chest with the tooth. Over with the 2 imps he finds highly annoying. I would too if I were him.
    If you don't kill him you run into him later in the game for a brief bit of chit chat before he leaves again. I think he says something about finding a female beholder?

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's called something like that.

Typically an otyugh also spawns in the sewers between the copper coronet and the slavers. I believe there's another in the Windspear hills, in the cave that leads to Firkraag off to one side with the troll cook.

Also, yes, one beholder that prefers to talk rather than fight. But then again, many of the humans in the game are also not overly interested in talking.

9. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    That's one advantage tabletop has over a pcrpg, if you want to talk/persuade a monster or person you can always attempt to do so (assuming the dm allows it.) in a pcrpg, you're limited to what options were accounted for and scripted in by the developers. :(

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Which is essentially the same when you consider the gameproducers to be the DM that doesn´t allow the other options you may come up with... :rolleyes:

Not every monster capable of speech has something to say. The otyugh may be able to speak common but with an INT of 5... :smash:

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Should be perfectly on the same level as a character that didn't get that great rolls in character creation ;)

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    but a tabletop DM can react and decide on what can and cannot be done in the heat of the moment, whereas the developers, while we can say that they partiall act as DM for sake of argument, have to anticipate and weigh the available options they are going to put into the game far before they deliver a finished product.
    i see crpg devs more as campaign developers then as DM's, to be honest :)

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Freedom of choice (as opposed to illusion of choice) is the biggest advantage in PnP, by far.

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I remembered those same 2 early in the morning as I was trying to fall asleep :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.