1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When Will Life on the World End?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Icingdeath45, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Well, Saudi Arabia has enough oil to (at this rate of being pumped) last for about 100 years. Canada has lots of oil, so does Iraq and Venezuala. I don't think we're going to run out anytime soon, and the world will probably be in little tiny chunks (from being nuked to hell) by the time there's no oil left.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, but the only person in SA who supports the USA is the king, after he dies, we lose the oil

3. Baron Von M Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmm...

Let's just make one thing clear; there's not, I repeat, there's NOT enough oil in SD to support the whole world for about 100 years. There's barely enough oil in the places we get it from today to last more than a hundred years.

I read one american saying the following on one other message board: quote "...We americans have the greatest oil supply in the world up in alaska, so there's no need to worry..." which shows how wrong people can be sometimes.

yes, America and Canada produces a lot of oil, but it's *nowhere* near the oil they (USA) consumes. The Iraq war we're having today is not about oil shortage, it's about stabilizing the supply and keeping prices down.

As it is today, the oil will perhaps last a hundred years more, but not much longer. And in about a hundred years, I'll bet that the war's mainly gonna be about securing what little oil is left.

Just my five cents...
    ----
    "You are amusing...in a what-the-is-wrong-with- you kinda way"

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yep, and that's why iraq and saudi arabia have to be conquered now.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Heh, using the bible code you could probably predict Baldurs Gate.....go figure :rolleyes:

I think that the only way to kill off the human race is if a big rock lands on our heads.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    No I heard a more fun fate ;) :spin:

Pretty soon, Jupiter may change his orbit from the sun by an ex-solar gravitational force..
    Resulting in 3 diff faits for the earth:
    1. It gets launced into outer space, where we will freeze to death
    2. We can crash into Jupiter, remember Schumacher-Levy(sp)?? Yup, something like that
    3. We crash into the sun, you wanted your eggs fried or disintergrated?? :D

[ April 03, 2003, 11:44: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

jesper... if you want to search the bible for 'Baldur's Gate', go ahead.

The fact of the matter is... I don't want to know when the world ends. It wont 'help' me. It's only make me insanely paranoid. Oh yeah... it's spells FATES, not FAITS.

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well now according to the Quran Code it will end in 2064 or 2062 i don't remember exactly, i believe that those are crap, only God knows when the life will end.

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If he decides to let it end ...

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do believe in the Bible. And I believe a cryptography of numbers and years, too. But I don't believe in the calculations of humans. People made calculations before, trying to figure out when Judgementday would be. If most of them were right, we would be in Elisium already.
    It's not important for us to know when the (read 'this') world will end, it's important to know if you're ready for it.

11. Ex-Paladine Banned

I don't have an idea

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    So post when you have one :mad:

13. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

War: Just turned off the TV.
    Famine: Pizza Service won't answer.
    Pestilence: My neighbour has got the flu.
    Death: Has time enough to wait for anyone.

So I guess, the World will end in about 2 days, a million years more or less.

I actually should write a book about it and put randomly some bible-quotes in it. Then I call it: "My stomach and the bible prophecies, exact date of the end of the world and survival tips for Armageddon."

Including instructions on how readers can send me all their money.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually, that was the most honest and wisest post this thread has got. Referring to either Sokrates, Aristoteles or Platon, whomever it was that discovered being wise means being able to admit you don't know what the heck is going on. In layman's terms, that is.

Fanaticism is dangerous in any form. And willingness to believe in anything 100%, is the cornerstone for fanaticism. I find it humorous that a human this time and age is willing to take part in such a mass-mind behaviour. But what're you going to do, that's the way most of us are. Scepticism for everything is a form of fanaticism as well, but at least it's far more impervious to manipulation and misleading.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Socrate. 'Scio me nihil scire' (mostly used in Latin not in Greek) - that is 'I know I know nothing'. The thought is however not a joyous coming up with a joyous voluntary confession of one's ignorance but rather a semi-humorous and a bit cynical reflexion of a philosopher who had eventually discovered that no amount of knowledge is ever enough and there's always the need to think and invent while taking nothing for granted. There are no records of his having a habit of popping up with 'I don't know' answers just to say something or attract attention :)

What's more interesting, Socrate spent some of his life investigating 'mass behaviour' that you speak of. I suppose he would agree though that they only really exist for those who believe in them. Avoiding being labelled is the perfect way to label yourself ;)

But not to be too much off-topic: I believe the life will end due to the Sun growing and thus its surface approaching the Earth. At some moment living on this planet will be rendered impossible once the process reaches advanced enough stage. Whether this will mean the end of humanity is a different matter...

[ April 05, 2003, 23:06: Message edited by: chevalier ]

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Chevalier. That is when the Earth gets destroyed for good.

On the other hand, if humans manage to obliterate themselves before that, I have no idea when THAT will happen...

(*trots off to write*)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.