1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When does legitimate become cheeze?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Splunge, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Those can all be put into a spell trigger or contigency if you want to role play. But again, most dont.

DMC was correct, thats exactly what I meant.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    @Duke Eltan: Yeah, but that's powerplay, not role-play. If I know there's a big fight coming up I send my thief in there to check, then come back, make-up some dialogue in my head then cast the defensive spells.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

First at all I don't know what cheeze means (in this case, wrong? right?) Yesterdey I faced Irenicus in the tree of life, so, casted protections of all kinds, first attempt, he casts time stop, 2 o r 3 death spells and killed Aerie and Imoen... reload... before he starts to cast, runaway boys! time stop, he stayed there, so, Aerie goes to a prudent distance, incendiary cloud, Imoen the same, Kelsey the same, wait, adios Irenicus!... too easy, I never tried this before, so, os this cheeze? Why? I used the my possibilities earned in the time that I played, no cheats, so, what is the concept of cheeze? is wrong to make a fight easy for you, using everything you earn and learn during the game play?

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That wasn't cheesy. Because you IC the characters would have been prepared for any strong spells and therefore escaped to a safe distance.

5. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hmmm a hard one to call, you could argue easily for either side.

From my side of the fence its cheesey because you didnt fight him did you, and if it was real, and yes I know how ironic it is comparing a game where you can cast magic spells with real life, would Irenicus just stand their while he slowly dies. He might be arrogant but he certainly can't be described as retarded.

6. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

mosty i do like deathmage, but in some situations this doesn't work.

For example kangaxx: How could you know that he is going to attack after you helped him? And most also buy a scroll of magic protection (ops a demilich, what a luck that i have this scroll :good: ).

I think sometimes ALL of you are at least a bit cheeze.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What about selling an expensive item for a lot of money and then stealing it back with a thief who has drunk 4 or 5 potions of Master thievery

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Cheezy.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Stu

Are you freaking kidding me? That's absolute cheese. You think a shop keeper wouldn't recognize that you keep selling back the exact same item???

I do agree though that everyone uses some amount of cheese. Great example above with "I just happened to have protection from magic scrolls" when I found Kangaxx.

However, I would argue that there are some battles where pre-battle prep would not be cheese. For example, with the shadow dragon, you have a wardstone so he can't see you. You could find the dragon, go back upstairs, cast your spells and then attack him. That's not cheese because after seeing him initially, your characters would know he was there.

Same theory with Firkraag - he lets you leave when you first meet him, so you know he will be there when you go back down.

Also, I would have no problem in casting pre-battle spells before the Irenicus fight in the tree of life. Ellisime tells you when there is only one parasite left, so your characters would know that after that parasite is destroyed they could attack Irenicus. Now bombarding Irenicus with cloud kills while off-screen is pure cheese. First of all, when you run away from his time stop, Irenicus, being an intelligent uber-mage, would naturally follow you and cast spells at you. Secondly, if you are chucking clound kills, incendiary clouds, etc. from off screen, the equally intelligent Irenicus wouldn't stand around saying, "Gee, it's raining acid and fire. I wonder why?" Being a mage, he could identify the spell, and he would logicially look for the caster.

10. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I tend to use cheese to counter cheese.

Kangaxx for instance.
    The Imprison spell is 100% cheese. It shouldn't be in the game. Period.
    Since Kangaxx abuses that cheese... I don't have any problems with being cheesy with him.

I have another example, where I outright cheated (exploiting the "anyone can cast spells from scrolls" bug is more than cheese in my book, it's cheating), but since it occurred in ToB, I won't mention it here. ;)

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Aldeth:
    I don't want to put words into Stu's mouth, but I don't think he was saying that he would then sell it back to the same shopkeeper. I, for one, will often steal an item, sell it to a fence, steal it again, sell it to a different fence, etc.; but I don't sell the same stolen item to the same fence more than once. Yes, it's an easy way to raise alot of gold fast, but I don't see it as being cheesy. Or am I wrong?

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, provided you sell it to a different fence, then it's not cheese. I thought the suggestion was, sell to a shopkeeper, steal from shopkeeper, sell it shopkeeper again, etc.

If you're playing a good party, it's not the most ethical thing in the world to do, but not cheese.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    But you can't use the same steal-sell-steal-sell with the same fences over and over. Don't you think that they'll notice that the nifty uber-wand you sold them turns up missing when you leave? (Even if they don't think you stole it, they'll figure it was an illusion and be out for you the next time you stroll by.) I think that strategy is basically one and out. You can use it once without cheese, so long as you never visit the area again.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, so if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that, once you steal from a vendor (fence or otherwise), you can’t go back to him/her. Good point; I hadn’t considered that before. Usually I do all of my stealing as soon as I escape the dungeon – looks like I’ll have to re-think this in future :almostmad:

15. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I meant to only do it once but with powerfull items (eg. wands to charge them, +3 full plate etc)

I think that you could go back to that area again as I dont think a shop keeper will count to make sure that all ninty four items of his are there, and assuming that you are not the only customer in the game (well you are but you would not be in real life!) it could have been just about any other person who happened to walk past or browse at his goods.

Having said (or written) this they would probably check their 20,000 gp sword after they buy it.

16. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If I had just brought I 20,000 GP item I would lock it up in a million boxes summon a beholder to protect it trap it curse it and god knows what else.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.