1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When do you steer away from the main story and do some sidequests?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

For me, I wait until I get my party together the way I really want it.

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Same for me. I get as close to my intended party as I can and then go off exploring all the side maps.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I tend to do it by areas. If I'm in an area and there's a miscellaneous quest to pick up, I do it. There's no time limit on the great majority, so even if the objective is in a different area, it can wait. Gurke in the Jovial Juggler in Beregost, for example. The first time through Beregost, I deal with everything there (including the spider house) and pick up all the quests. When I actually do them depends on when I'm in the area that the quest objective is in, which for Gurke's cloak means heading to Cloakwood in Chapter 4. If I'm doing someone a favor, they can damn well wait until I'm ready. ;)

Of course, which areas I visit when can be pretty influenced by putting together my party. If I want Kivan, I'll probably head to High Hedge fairly early, if I want Xan or Coran or Yeslick, I'll probably stick mostly to the main quest areas until I'm to them. But I'm not going to bypass quests that are right there. Greywolf always bites the dust the first time I head to the Nashkel Mines area, regardless of how many people I have. It may end up being hard, but I usually don't use those healing potions anyway, so...meh.

In the end, it means your party is higher level sooner. Because with a smaller party the experience is split fewer ways, and when your additional party members join, they may be at a higher level because of your party's higher level. Of course, that can be a bad thing if you want to distribute skill points or proficiencies differently than the higher level version do, but I almost always take my thieves very early; typically Imoen, PC, or Monty. And the proficiencies are pretty well proportioned for how I would use the NPCs anyway, plus there's always a little editing if they're not.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I don't actually decide at any point that I should go doing sidequests. I just happen to stray from the path from time to time, sometimes doing plenty and sometimes doing only one or two quests.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

When I get to Beregost, which is usually when I have the party I want. Plus, there's my stash barrel at the JJ. ;)

6. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Whenever the feeling to explore kicks in even tho I already know what's waiting for me... basicly, it can be at any moment.

7. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    I have a fairly set routine. If I want Viconia in chapter 1 (i.e. early on, instead of waiting until after Cloakwood) then I'll pick her up while looking for Joia's Flamedance Ring.
    Then in Beregost, I'll take a west turn to High Hedge and pick up Kivan, then completing the Melicamp and Bassilus quests.
    However, I only really branch out after completing the Nashkel mines. From there I go all over the map, completing all of the awesome wilderness areas before stopping in on Tranzig at Beregost. Then I go to Peldvale and Larswood and clear the bandits, before going to the camp (I used to get to the camp by 'joining' the bandits...these days I just end up entering normally and letting heads fly).
    After Cloakwood, the Farm area, Wyrm's crossing etc. and then Baldur's gate of course.

8. ister Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

More or less the same for me. I'll usually stick to the main plot until I'm done with the Nashkel mines. I will do the quests in Beregost and the gnoll fort before the mines. After the mines I'll branch off if I have most of the team I want, or push on and do the bandit camp if not. Invariably I'll do a efw sidequests before Cloakwood, even if I want one of the NPCs there. I think there are too many tough fights in Cloakwood if you haven't strayed from the plot a bit by then.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i tend to pick-up Khalid and Jahira then work my way down to the mine. generaly taking branwen and a random with me, solwing that. then i go of doing sidequest and tweaking my party.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Depending on wich class my PC will be then count me in...

11. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I try to do the quests that are in a general area all at once to save on the traveling. There are probably quite a few quests I have never done. I usually only do the best rewarding and essential quests by time I get to Baldurs Gate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.