1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When Being a Verb is Not Enough: Google wants to be YOUR Internet

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Bahir the Red, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Source

Google is up to something all right...

2. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Sounds possible but it isn't a nice thing. If you have a monopoly over communication, you will become too strong and will determine what people will and won't know. But it isn't fair trade and will be prevented by courts, if it ever happens.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

As long as it is still run by its original founders I have no problem if Google runs the internet. Frankly I feel it would be a good thing.

If one person/organisation could control the intenet then they could do something about all this damn spam, viruses etc. AND they would be held accountable for NOT preventing them as the internet would be their service provided.

Currently the internet is this great big lawless entity. Frankly I'd like some order there.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The more of the internet they control, the more money they can make. That's what they care about, not keeping order...

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second. But hey, positive off-shoots of their greed.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Centralising power in any group - especially a corporation whose aim is purely to make money - is to my mind a bad thing.

Can anyone point out exactly what it is they can do with this new control besides 'make ****loads of money from ISPs'? Specifically my concern is: 'can they censor the internet?'

edit: Why does the internet need order? It seems to be working fine as it is. Spam and viruses are something I can deal with to see the only really free (as in speech) way of distribution stays open.

7. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I would far rather Google took control of the internet than say, someone like Microsoft.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I wouldn't worry about Google gaining a temporary monopoly on the Internet. Unless the monopoly is sanctioned by the government, any other company is free to compete with Google, which will force them to provide at least a decent service at a fair price. Otherwise, competitors will spring up (for example, IBM or Microsoft could deliver broadband as well as Google).

If Google should manage to secure themselves a permanent monopoly (which I think unlikely), they would in fact have less of an incentive to provide good service. The worst, most hated monopolies in your countries are probably the ones either run by the government or protected by the government.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Monopolies are not, by definition, a bad thing. What is so bad about Google anyway? I have only heard good things about them (although some would argue that just proves they're up to something nefarious :rolleyes: ).

It's a concept that nobody has ever encountered so frankly I think give them a go and see what transpires... wasn't there going to be an Internet2 anwyay?

10. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Competition breeds necessity; necessity breeds invention. If you have no real competitors, then why even bother to innovate? Our friends over at EA have shown us that much (I'm looking at you, John Madden).

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Because Microsoft obviously haven't developed anything new since 1995...

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Microsoft didn't update IE until Firefox started making a serious dent in their market share.

And it's not that Google in incredibly bad as far as companies go - it's just that it would be better if no one controlled the internet so there is no temptation to screw it up in the name of morality or money.

13. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Exactly. Like the saying goes, "When banks compete, you win." If several companies are vying for power over something, then the common man tends to benefit as they each struggle to put out the "best deal." It's really only when you have one superpower corporation with no competition that situations tend to decline in quality.

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    only a short term cost, most large ISP's can certainly afford that, and they would probably increase their connections by more then 50 in an effort to oust googles hold

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And here I thought a number was an noun or adjective depending on its use.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.