1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Wheel of Time" series... any good?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Klorox, Sep 28, 2006.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Old Raven Yes, I'll take disagreements for £10 please and contradiction for £20... :p I seriously doubt I would get that involved to start throwing quotes around, I'd probably just send some Aiel around for a chat :lol:

@Klorox my advice would be go to a library borrow the first 3 books and decide for yourself.

2. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i read the first of the prequel trilogy,then couldn't find the other 2.then i got the first book.i enjoyed both of them.i think they are very good.of course,i'm very early in the series.we'll see how i feel as i get further into it

3. -Green_Knight- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think the Wheel of Time is one of the sadest series I've ever tried to read (I've tried twice now, the first time I folded during book three, the second time I got somewhere in volume 5).

The series have a variety of problems IMO, but the biggest one is the total lack of believable characters; which is horribly accentuated by the utter lack of character development, and topped of by the intensely unsatisfying male/female relationships. The lack of emotional complexity and depth is simply staggering, for a 10+ book series.

Ah, and add to this a complete lack of plot and exitement, and you have a completely horrible piece of litterature.

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Personally I like the series, although since book six (given the length of time between publications) I have found that it nigh impossible to remember the story-lines without re-reading the earlier ones.
    Thus, I haven't read the most recent book and probably won't read the series again until it is completed.
    However, I do agree that the personal interactions are crap, and my personal bugbear is Jordan bringing back deceased characters - he seems to be spinning the series out just to acheive the extra books. It could (and should) have been finished earlier.

Dragon3 - the other two prequels haven't been released (written?) yet.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Long story short, IMO...Jordan needs to take a few pointers from George RR Martin about what goes into a superb fantasy series...

6. Big Mike Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My opinion.........

Robert Jordan is too erratic. We have all heard of the continuity errors that came about in the first 5 books. He takes too long between books as well. Two years between books is too long when the story-line is as complicated as this one is. I also find that after book 3, the series becomes pretty much hit and miss in quality, it seems every other book is readable. The only redeeming quality about Jordan is that he takes the time to make the villians three dimensional. Too many authors stick a villian in there simply to have the heroes do something.

My two bits.
    Mike

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.