1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wheel of Time questions

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by casey, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What Meatdog and joacqin said. Though he kinda succeeds at ddepicting women (some do tend to change their minds a fair bit on occasion) it does seem a bit too forced and OTT, and I would imagine from some of the women that I've known, that it can be difficult to 'submit' to another woman's leadership or even sometimes to agree with another woman without seeming to defer to them too much. Actually, I've even known a lot of guys with that same problem. Whether it's a gender thing or not, it is difficult for some people to agree with others when they really want to agree without 'losing face'.

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Why are there so many Hebrew and Arabic names and titles in the series? Eg: Ishmael, Shaitan etc...

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My favourite theory is that it is because the WoT world is earth in a very distant future.

A simpler and probably more probable explanation is that Jordan just lets himself be inspired by anything when it comes to names. It is damned hard to come up with names.

4. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My theory on the WoT women is that Robert Jordan models them after his wife, now that I think of it does he have a wife? if they are modeled after his wife then he's either a masochist or a very poor judge of character.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I actually think he has said that he models them after his wife as she is his closet female and greatest influence. I also think the man is a masochist.

6. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Joacqin, is WOT meant to be sent in a future earth? I didn't realise. Me and Baezle were talking over the names and I found it quaint that Shaitan, the evil one, is actually the Arabic word for Satan. Co-incidence? I don't think so. That was where my notion was coming from...

7. joacqin

Media:
    The Trolloc tribes have names like: Dhae'mon, K'bold and so on. In the first book they talked about tales about Queen something something (reminded of queen Victoria or other Britist queen) who ruled the world. Stories about the two giants Mosk and Merk who stood astride the world with spears reaching everywhere (cold war).

Actually I dont really think the WoT world is meant to be a future earth, not really. Jordan just lets his inspiration be more visible than many other writers. I mean, how invisible is it to have an old great king named Arthur in a story?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.