1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your take on Obsidian?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Obsidian has BioWare's stellar support for NWN to live up to... and if you compare Obsidian's support for NWN2, it falls far, far short of BioWare's for NWN1. Obsidian has released far fewer patches fixing far fewer issues in the same time as BioWare. It's understandable given that Obsidian is hardly BioWare, but from a customer's point of view, it's not much more than an excuse for a buggy game even years after shipping...

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    IMO Obsidian needs to take more responsibility for their "innovations". Someone seems to have forgotten technical functionality, simplicity and ease-of-use.
    Technical functionality, there should be no problems when skill bars and windows in NWN2 overlap, among other bugs. Simplicity, adjusting the status window should be easier, among other things. Ease-of-use, it would be nice if characters automatically went into-ready state when it is obvious that something in front of them wants to kill them, etc.
    New stuff/modifications are nice but they should also be well implemented. Once that is done, then you could focus on creating the best adventure you can possible spin in your lifetime.
    At least, that's what I think they should do for now.

It's been one game with annoying features after another so far.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Just to give another perspective on Obsidian:

I have been Admining a Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world (A Land Far Away) for the last year or so and heavily involved before then. From my point of view, Obsidian have certainly been impressive. Since NWN2 was released, they have always been very open and easy to make contact with. When, in the early days, we found a big bug that had been missed until then, we were able to get in touch with them and between them and a few of our tech experts, we worked out a solution - eventually to be incorporated into their patches.

Since those early days, things haven't dropped off. Only about a month ago, we had Rob (from Obsidian) stop by our forum for a week or so answering a big pile of questions we had, and in turn asking us what we thought of X, Y and Z. This gesture alone really impressed me - given how many Persistent Worlds there are out there, to get in touch with them individually really shows a care for the community.

Are they better than bioware in this sense? I can't say. We certainly never had that level of contact with bioware. But then again, back with NWN1 the community was a lot bigger, and when you're just one fish in the sea it's a lot less likely you are going to see that personal attention.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    True, the patches were good and they did a great job seeing as how NWN2 really did start to become pretty a great game from MotB onwards, but I'm only trying to point that one important thing that makes them different from the older developers is that they're using much more advanced and complicated technology, so they really should try harder to account for that come other games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.