1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's Your Sign?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Montresor, Mar 19, 2011.

?

What is your sign?

1. Aries

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Taurus

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Gemini

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Cancer

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Leo

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Virgo

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. Libra

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Scorpio

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. Sagittarius

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. Capricorn

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. Aquarius

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Pisces

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    A discussion between a pack of Bulls in the "This was inevitable" thread got me thinking that we never had a poll to see if the SP members' birthdays were evenly distributed over the year, or whether some signs dominate.

So - what's your sign?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I have the terminal disease. Lucky me.

(Also: why ask about signs and not months?)

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mine is 'For Sale/To Let' :lol:

4. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

I am a gemini through and through no matter what the new signs say I am.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There were three Tauri discussing signs, so I decided to open a poll on signs. :)

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Mine is "no tresspassing".

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No soliciting.

Really, if there's something I need, I'll go pick it up. Coming up to me randomly thinking you've got the one thing that's missing from my life, once in a lifetime opportunity is more than a little presumptuous. Go away!

And another thing, if Aldeth thinks he's a bull, he's a bull. Who cares what "they" switched around, didn't switch around (follow up from the original Tauri discussion mentioned by Montressor).

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Whatever. To me an astrological sign is nothing more than a cute conversation piece anyway. I'll accept Aldeth as a Taurus with open arms, regardless of what Joe What’s-his-name from whatever.com says. :p

No offense intended to anyone by that admission, of course.

And another thing - "piece" - again, i before e except after c? Not likely! Seriously, we should streamline our language. Who's responsible for all these inconsistencies anyway? They're not needed, at all. Easy enough to spell piece, peice. Why not? Sorry for going off-topic... this is just a pet-peeve lately.

Bah - more than an hour on my PC and I'm feeling nauseous again. Time to go lie down....

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    So the western astrological signs are an ontological system that was separated from the actual constellations in the first place?

Perhaps that is why it is nonsense :D

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm a picky perfectionist.

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Yup, the day I was born the sun rose in Leo, but somehow I'm a Virgo. Also, I can't really see how someone ever saw a lion in those stars in the first place, it looks more like a mouse or a < ؟. So my real sign is "lesser than irony mark", but in the more traditional convention, I'm a Virgo.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Then you're a Virgo with Leo ascendant :p

14. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Or perhaps I understand less of astrology than I previously thought :p Your sign is determined by the constellation the sun rises in on the day you were born, right? I was born mid September and according to the tabloid horoscopes, Virgo's were born in the period of 23 August – 22 September. However, as I understood it, those dates have nothing to do with the actual constellations the sun rises in (they aren't that evenly distributed, and there are 13), so your actual sign can be something totally different. Something about sidereal and tropical thingamajigs or something.

Not that I believe in any of it, and I doubt my personality has anything to do with what people saw in the stars millenniums ago.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Tropical zodiac is based on degrees of earths rotation. Vedic/Sidereal Astrology is based on the actual zodiacs - though most still only utilise 12 symbols. Ophiuchus gained popularity/notoriety recently, but it did about 20 years ago as well.

Tropical astrology takes basis on the time of year you were born, then overlays correspondence depending on different celestial bodies in different houses (mansions of the moon are sometimes taken into account) The sign that is in place at the eastern horizon of your time of birth is your ascendant sign in tropical - what Vedic/Sidereal astrologers will take to be your actual astrological sign, which takes into account the actual stars and constellations but not the rotation and orbit of the earth.

It's interesting looking into astrology seeing what it's actually designed for compared to the 'pop astrologers' that do newspaper horoscopes and have the public face of it.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't buy into astrology myself, but it's fun and harmless. I'm a Sagitarrius, and wish that my date of birth gave me some sort of natural ability with a bow, but sadly . . . . . I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a shotgun.

17. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Tauruses appear to be king here at SP, while Aquarii don't even register. This must mean something!

When it comes to fortunes (what horoscopes have come to resemble in the papers), I always feel cheated at the Chinese restaurant when my cookie says something like "have a nice day." Wtf is that? I want winning lottery numbers, dates for the arrival of my next whirlwind romance, or instructions to load heavily into the stock market, not well-wishes or run-downs on my day. :mad:

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, but I'm actually a Gemini - I was only a Tarus under the system that didn't really change.

19. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'm a leo, being born on 08/08/1988, a Monday around 10h45 AM (jealous 8people ? :lol:) -- Not that I believe the arbitrary position of stars truly affect my behaviour or anything.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wouldn't it be easier to have Tal run some sort of report?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.