1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"What's Up?"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Sep 25, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, Abomination, I hate it when strangers try shifting the burden of choosing the topic on me. I've heard lines like "what will you say to me?" from strangers, and a mere "what's up" pales before those. However, a line such as "about what would you like to talk?" may suggest that the person is politely letting his desired interlocutor choose the topic without the inconvenience of having the said topic forced by a stranger. But it needs a certain concerned tone, not an underlying relief.

Men I expect to have something really interesting to say and stick to business if they haven't. Women I expect to show some more effort than giving me to understand "you can start hitting on me now", although if they seem somewhat intimidated, I might take the conversation in my own hands. But I'm always careful not to seem more interested "this way" than I really am. Especially if I'm taken or in love with someone else.

Agreed, though, that "what's up" from a stranger is improper, even if we have no issue with shifting the burden of choosing the topic. I expect to hear some kind of "excuse me". I don't always expect proper introduction simply because I'm not interested in knowing names of persons I'm not going to meet again, and because knowing names is not part of dealing with minute business in my book.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hehe overanalysis :p its just an expression and you usually don't really expect an answer. Whenever you're introduced to someone (well here at least) you just say "hey, whats up dude." its more of an extension of a greeting than an actual question. when its "whats up? how you (been) doin'?" osr something like that, it means they're actually asking :)

3. chevalier

Media:
    I never, never say "hey what's up dude" when introduced to someone. When I'm introduced and someone else has already said my name, I preferably don't say anything and just shake hands if the other person is male or take a bow if the person is female, unless she stretches her hand out or displays the cheek. And I never call anyone "dude".

Using phrases contrary to their literal meaning, like "what's up" instead of "hello" when noting really bars anyone from saying "hello" or "hey" makes little sense.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The joys of rap/hip-hop culture have taken their toll. I don't find the phrase offensive, just rude.

This is basically the definition of someone attempting to be 'cool', 'with the play' or 'up wit' it' etc. My most recent run-in was with someone attempting to talk to me in Snoop Dog's 'izzile' language. Frankly I just ignored him after the 3rd word. The English language is fine, why try to change it when nothing has been invented?

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *Buggs Bunny Imitation* "Mnjaah *crunchychrunch* What's up, Doc?"

:p

6. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Here's sums more:

Hows it hanging? (always good for a comical reply)
    S'up?
    Ay' up!
    Ay yo!
    A'ight!

and all I've never known how to respond to without being sarcastic.

As for saying "whats up?" I guess it means whats good? as in are you happy? as in you look like a miserable git, or maybe its just slang for "hi", which would make more sense. Maybe we should try and stay away from why the french and the spanish use the same words for "hi" and "goodbye"...oh well...

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ay' Up means hello.

8. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I thought Ay was always Hey, but then Hey up wouldnt make any sense, unless somthing was about to fall on your head... so would Hey yo... now I'm confused...

9. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I generally hear this phrase used as a response when I approach someone and greet them. It is used to query the purpose of my visit.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

its an expression, not everyone uses it :/ Its a person's personal preference. over here most people in my age group (13-21) use it.

11. chevalier

Media:
    Perhaps it is but a matter of personal preference, but I still resent being called "dude". It's better than being called "bro" or "dog", but not quite yet what I would like. Of course, I'm not going to give a lecture immediately, but you can bet I won't really love the conversation.

Know what you feel. When I hear that kind of speech, I ask "speak English/Polish/whatever, please". The funny thing is that sometimes they ask this of me first.

Don't get me wrong, using big words and complicated grammar on people who have other things to do in life than academics is not really my style, but some standards must be kept.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Just leave it up to you guys to create a perfect storm in a glass of water. :D

13. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Yeah guys, it is just slang. It's not like we're speaking Engrish or anything.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Rofl. Wow guys.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Actually, it's "dawg" (not "dog"), as in "Yo dawg, 'sup?"

Jeez chev, you're so, like, squaresville. Like, totally. :p

16. chevalier

Media:
    Entirely. Most certainly so.

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A basic rule:

Whatever, whenever, someone or anyone enters a conversation, you can answer with a simple 'meh' and it is still valid.

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Personally, if I meet a new person, I feed off their attitude as to how I greet them but usually it's with the kind of regard that chev has been mentioning. If, on the other hand, I happen to meet up with someone I already know, then something along the lines of "Hey ugly, how's things?" will suffice. Or "Hey stranger" if it's been a while since I last saw them.

But if it happens to be my brother-in-law that I meet up with I ususally stick to "How you going sexy?"

19. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

ROLMAO! Man Splunge, you are one of the cool old guys. One of the ones you can speak slang to and be understood.

20. chevalier

Media:
    @Aldazar: Well... friends are a bit different. I've been through "hey, sexy", "hey, sweetheart" to/from friends (female) or "hey, ugly", "hey, ****er" (male). But I really, really, don't want to hear such things from strangers.

I've even had a couple of friends like that guy with whom we've been through various things and some of our greetings had better not be quoted to children (but they're still grammatically and syntactically correct, of course), or that classmate girl with whom we flirted so much and in such a way (i.e. while we were not actually quarrelling :D ) that people thought we were married. But damn, those were not strangers. And they came up with a bit more complex opening lines, so an occasional "what's up" equivalent wasn't so bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.