1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's Up With NPC Attributes From Bg1 to Bg2?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Nobleman, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] It is about time I come with my standard Anniversary Question that noone can answer. This is number 1000 so I have made it a fun one. I want all your intrigueos inventive and geneous ideas on why and only why, 4 of the NPCs have had some more or less radical Changes in their Attributes. Ok lets start:

The worst case is Edwin
    BG1: Str11 Dex13Con16Int17Wis15Cha12
    BG2: Str10 Dex10Con16Int18Wis10Cha10

then the rest have some interesting changes

Minsc
    BG1: Str18/93 Dex15Con15Int8Wis6Cha9
    BG2: Str18/93 Dex16Con16Int8Wis6Cha9

and Viconia
    BG1: Str10 Dex19Con8Int16Wis15Cha14
    BG2: Str10 Dex19Con8Int16Wis18Cha14

Jaheira is a strong case too
    BG1: Str15 Dex14Con17Int10Wis14Cha15
    BG2: Str15 Dex17Con17Int10Wis14Cha15

Iomen is the only one who hasn't changed. And why is that so?

I really look forward to your tales, thus I won't post any ideas myself. Ok ramblers lets get rambling :)

2. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Seems like Edwin sacrificed his wits for even more spells!

Minsc has grown old... and gotten CON? Ridiculous indeed!

Viconia really improved, but her stats are her least compliments...

Jaheira? Who's that? ;)

I guess the designers wanted the player to stay with these NPCs (good stats, in particular Edwin and Viconia); perhaps to encourage the role-players?

3. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Real reason: game-balancing. Edwin would have been a complete and total munchkin with really high stats in addition to his special abilities.

Tongue-in-cheek reasons: Well, Jaheira and Minsc's dexterities obviously increased during their captivity with Irenicus, as they tried feverishly (but unsuccessfully) to learn how to pick locks while handcuffed to the wall. Meanwhile, Viconia, originally clueless enough to think her race would not matter on the surface (as her original BG1 bio said), wised up once she was tied to a post and almost killed.

Edwin, meanwhile, became addicted to a computer game and didn't eat, bathe, or leave his room all year, thus sapping his strength and dexterity, tanking his charisma, and proving his lack of wisdom. He did gain a point of INT from solving the occasional algebra puzzle in the course of the game.

How's that? (-:

4. sorvo Guest

Maybe they found some tombs! As for Edwin, the drop in cha came from Minsc getting in a good slash across the face in the gnoll stronghold before he bolted!:)

5. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] well edwin could've been swinging the rod of terror around a little too much :p

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's not just the NPC stats that have changed, but some of their alignments too.

Minsc was Neutral Good in BG, but Chaotic Good in BG2 (IIRC), and I think Imoen's alignment changed.

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Hmm, stat changes and alignment changes i could handle, but i always used a certain utility to make them moe like i had the NPC's at the end of BG, weapon proficiencies, thieving skill scores etc. Always wanted that sense of continuity i guess. Oh, and if i had used a tome on an NPC they got that attribute put up by 1 too.
    Yes, i changed stats with *that* utility, but it was for roleplaying purposes so don't flame me. Anyone else ever do this?

8. The DMage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Really?? I'm almost positive Minsc was chaotic good, at least in my bg 1(And no, no utility)because I remember thinking how the CG alignment fit him perfectly. And I also think Imoen was NG is both. I don't have BG installed right at the moment however, so I can't easily check...

9. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I checked, and it is only Minsc's alignment which changes from NG to CG.

Thinking about this, it is probably due to Dynaheir getting killed...

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited October 03, 2001).]

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

or maybe one too many whacks to his head, right boo?

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Edwin's stats are a logical consequence of his personality and circumstance. He's getting more powerful, and is personally involved in the Bhaal prophecy, so he studies his tomes, trying to figure out how to turn this to his advantage, gaining INT, but losing strength, CON and DEX through being too busy studying to eat, exercise and the like. Also, he becomes infatuated with his power and goes on a monstrous ego trip, losing wisdom and charisma. EDIT
    Hmm, no CON, must have adapted to reading too much to get proper nourishment

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited October 04, 2001).]

12. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can understand Viconia becoming wiser, and Jaheira becoming more agile (both from the standpoint of role-playing, and that of gaming balance). I can also uderstand Minsc's alignment change. But Edwin vegetating and LOSING stats?! That I don't get.

13. sorvo Guest

Sit in front of the computer and play BG for a year or two! I can see Edwin doing the same. Your stats drop quick,except Int because you think your smarter.

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Edwin's main stat is intelligence, as he is the best mage there is, and knows it. Like Quayle (before Aerie) he obssesses about it, and hads to be smarter than everyone else to gain power. Therefore I can quite imagine him missing meals, sleep etc. and letting his body go to pot, just to spend another few hours with the grimoires revelling in the glory of his own mind. Also, from a game balance perspective, he is a great mage, making him have high points in non-essential attribtes would just be overkill.

15. John_Duble_E Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Actually those stats posted as Edwin's original belonged to Minsc's witch, Dynaheir. His original stats were: str 9 dex 10 con 16 int 18 wis 9 cha 10. So, he improved in BG2, not much, but still improved.

starfox64 likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.