1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the point?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Silver Dragon, May 5, 2001.

1. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I don't see the point in getting your thieving skills above 100%. If you have 130% pickpocketing skills how does it better 100% pickpocketing skills. 100% means you can not fail.

2. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

no it doesnt

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hm!

You could ask the same question for Fallout and Fallout 2. There is no way to get pickpocket improved that it works every time.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, it doesn't. I remember having about 105% in the pickpocketing skills in the original Baldur's Gate (not in BG2 though) and I failed at least once in a while...

5. Pretend Gems: 5/31

I Fallout it doesn't say it's percents.
    In BG it says.. and I think it's misleading.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Then read the Fallout manual again.

7. Pretend Gems: 5/31

Nah, I'm not manual type o guy..
    But atleast ingame I cant remeber in Fallout it anywhere shows % in there.. ? But then again.. it's been a long time since I played those.

8. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know for certain, but I am sure that I have had characters with hide in shadows over 100% and they occaisionally fail, same with picking locks I think.

So while there might be a percentage chance for your character perhaps this is also a percentage 'modifier' for the task. For example, say a normal trunk requires 50%, a thief with 70% will have no problem. But if the trunk is an important quality item it might have a 60% bonus. In that case your thief would need 110%.

OK I admit I'm guessing and I concede the point that using percentages is misleading. I just think of it in the same way as thaco and armour class. You would think having a negative thaco would gurantee a hit but of course we all know it doesn't.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course there is a chance to fail even when you ar perfect - the better you are you just reduce the risc to fail. But you still have to roll the dice ...

10. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

That guy, Ribald, he has a high resistance against Pick pocketting, so maybe if you have, like, 150%, you're able to pick Pocket him?

11. antoine Guest

I have pick pocketed Ribald he has ring of regeneration

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Just have some potions of master thievery and the gauntlets of pickpocketing - that should even work with Nalia.

13. carlstar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the pen and paper stops at 95% or so but BG stops around 250%. whats with that then.
    im guessing but i would say they must have modifies and the % is just a symbol for us human types.
    do you get a better chance to pick pocket from behind(no sniggering people)?

14. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Here's a theory on how it works:

When using a thief skill the game compares the users "Skill%" to the targets "Skill%". Then a "Random%" is generated and added. The end sum tells if you succeed or not.

So if you have Pick Pocket 105% and the target has "Skill%" of 30% your base would be 75%, to this is added a "Random%" to see if you succeed.

Note!
    This is just a theory and I can see how it is flawed, but basically I think it works something like that.

15. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

HEllo everything I think you alll miss a little something here

you got boni to your pickpocket because of your race, dex, and armor

(example)if you have 125 and wear an armor, it would not be 125 now but lets say 100 and if you got a poor dex lol for a thief whatever you can down again to 95-90

so.......

okokokok i know that when you steal something you should at least remove your armor :)

I'm right????

16. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

It basically works how Earl Grey said. You have a pick-pocket rating. Your target has an anti-pickpocket rating. His rating is subtracted from your rating and you have the chance of pickpocketing him.

example - you have a rating of 50%. THe target has one of 20&. THat means that you have a 30& chance in succeeding.

17. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you get your hide in shadows high enough you can do it almost anywhere...at least that's what I've heard. I've never done that yet but I'm going to try. for example...in battle.

18. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

hide in shadows is great! lets ya attack the ugly ones from behind! then u don't get blood on the fine clothes u have stol...procured during your travels..

19. Ragusa

Media:
    You can´t hide in shadows during battle, how good your stats however may be .... that´s what potions of invisibility are there for ;)

20. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree with the roll dice theory. There is always a chance to roll that critical 1 that says sorry you dont get jacksquat.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.