1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the deal with peppercorns?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by mordea, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Rune,
    I remember. There was a woman who sold fruit in front of the apartment in Stary Mokotów where I was staying. She had this mustache so enormous that it put her on par with Tom Selleck and Chuck Norris.

Edit:
    Oh and congrats with your new gem :banana:

2. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Why thank you! :D

Yeah, these ladies are scary... and oddly common in Warsaw (been here for a week now and already seen four). Was there a hypertrichosis epidemy I do not know about? :D

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm saying nothing other than I'm typing with one hand while working my Ladyshave with the other!

4. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Be careful not to cut yourself! :D

BTW, I know this thread was not supposed to be serious from the start, but look what we have done to it. This is madness! :D

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    We've done worse in the past babe

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Hm. I think the worst part of this is that you both realize you shouldn't have done it, yet you did it anyway. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

7. Silvery

Media:
    Sorry boss.

I don't mind biting down on a peppercorn when you've ordered something containing them. It's when they sneak up on you it's a problem. You're sat there with a nice, innocent looking meal but a peppercprn is lurking in there

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've had some bad experiences with peppercorn dishes, so I can see where Mordea is coming from. I think it comes from unskilled chefs, and not the peppercorns themselves.

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I agree with LKD about it being the chefs or cooks that's behind such unpleasant dinning accident... but do not totally a lack of cooking skills issue (except the part where some part are too bland while others are too salty). Like here, we do have some dishes that are traditionally cooked with ungrounded peppercorns. As such, it is the dinner's lack of awareness that comes to play.

10. mordea Banned

Hmm, perhaps I'm just a **** cook.

I recently got a bolognese recipe off the net which recommended 1/2-1 tblspn of whole peppercorns, so I just chucked a tablespoon of dried whole peppercorns in before cooking.

Am I meant to crack them?

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Recipes are a tool, a general instruction on how to make a particular dish. Unless you're a trainee cook and prepare for an exam, or want specifically that dish, recipes are not supposed to be slavishly followed. Under normal circumstances, in the kitchen you are your own master.

In the end it depends on how spicy you want the dish to be. Crushed the pepper corns will spread the flavour; if you leave them whole you'll have your 'hotspots' (but you'll also be able to remove them before serving (for such instances there is the marvellous invention of a spice bag; a tea egg will probably work fine as well)). It depends on your personal taste whether that's ok for you or not.

For a schnitzel or a steak with pepper sauce I'd leave them whole; that's how it is supposed to be and how I'd expect it in a restaurant. For a Bolognese I'd probably crush them. But, since you'll have to eat it - your choice.

12. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I personally dont put peppercorns in a spag bol

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I barely use measurements when I'm cooking :lol:

I judge the texture, taste and completion of a recipe by taste and smell usually and when mixing dough or other baked goods I use my hands to combine ingredients more often than not so have a good idea how well it's going.

Except Chocolate Pudding to Kevs' standards, I've only managed that once so far...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.