1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What was your most difficult battle?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Grey Ghost, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Two nights ago, I was fighting with those Lost Followers. Everything seemed to be OK until that Atalacys(or whatever) killed 3 of my party members with Wail of the Banshee. :flaming:
    Now, that's one hard fight if you suddenly lose half of your party.
    However, I slayed six of them with my remaining members. :tie:

2. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Actually I didn't have any problem with the bridge, I did two runs...
    I just kill the first monsters that attack you when you enter the map, just make sure you don't attract more monsters...Then just ignore everyone and make your way onto the bridge, kill the golem and the woman who wants to make a deal with you. Now you just saved the bridge, and you can kill everything and work your way from the bridge to the rest of the map.

For my most difficult battle, this has to be outside the goblin fortress, my party was still quite low level there, and the summons just ripped me apart

3. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Do you mean the courtyard of the fortress or the plains outside of the fortress where the bridges are?
    I'm in hOf and the plains and the summoned worg riders are easy if you bought the goblin dagger. One hit and they are dead. After I got into the fortress itself, there are two more drums. I left them on a little while until I got bored (for the extra XP, 5400 for each summons as I was a pretty low level).
    However, the courtyard battle is something else. No summons, but if you move around too much, you'll bring in the second group (in my case an extra over 30 hobgoblins, elite orcs, mages, orcs, halfgoblins, etc. The first battle has more than this at one time, but a lot of goblins that can be slain with that goblin-killer dagger.
    At this point of my game, I have slain over 670 of the enemy -- mostly golems and with my trusty golem dagger ... EXCEPT, one golem sorcerer, only one that cannot be killed with that blade. I think that this is another bug like the one relating to the stunning +1 arrows that won't stack together (a few must be coded differently). Also, this time through (4th), I get an errpr using that Myrkul armor to bring back the dead -- "An assertion failed
    CGame Effect.cpp line # 1744
    unknown effect id: 750"
    and my game gets wiped out and I am returned to the Windows Desktop. Well, I just reload and redo the battle without anybody dieing.
    Extremist has said a couple of times that there are 15 known bugs. I think that it would be nice if he posted them.
    IaaA?

4. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Playing a good group Isair and Madae was difficult for me but IMO the hardest combat is the lost followers.

5. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I think Roekemoes mentioned the one where you meet Ennelia. That was horrific but then I tried something different and hinder them beating drums thus disabling them summoning reinforcements.
    Just beat the west bridge then range attack drum (the one near that shaman, Trugnuk). Under HoF yes, you have "Goblin Slayer" dagger. But what about normal where your party is low on levels?

6. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

I mean the Shaengarne Bridge, not the goblin fortress, sorry for not being clear.
    Stupid mistake of me. At the end of page 1 they were talking about the bridge. Didn't see that there was a second page, so my post may seem really unrelated to other posts :D

Sorry guys

7. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

It was not that unrelated... :grin:

8. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Fortress Plains:
    In normal mode, I rushed and killed the shamen (those are the guys who beat on the drums -- only enemy mages do it) Then there is nobody to beat on the drum. Send one guy to kill the drum and let everyone else protect him. Inside the fortress there is one drum downstairs and two or three upstairs. The downstairs one you can get by going through the spiders and killing the trolls (the back way) then kill the drum. Then go back through the front door for the quest XP. Then the guy that opens the door cannot go to the drum to summon the worg riders. The one to the right upstairs can be had by bypassing the sleepers on the right and going directly there to kill it. Then kill the stuff in the cage, enter the cage and kill the guys on the other side without opening the door (arrowing them) and then continue with a rogue or hidden monk to take out the two shamen (get between the shamen and the drum) and then the second drum. Then go back and kill the sleepers.
    I killed Trugnuk by going to the extreme south right (just able to see where the drum was) and then attacked the drum with acid rain. When Trugnuk goes for the drum, my arrowers go for him. He never made it to the drum: the drum dies just after he does so that none of the other mages can use it either. You may also be able to take out troll with the rain also. If you get to close to the tower on the south side, they will see you and your battle will be bigger and start sooner. However, the enemy mages really don't do too many summons per (this basically depends on the average level of your party -- the higher the level, the more and faster summons). Playing the normal game as long as you haven't upped your levels, it is not very difficult. Remember also that the size of your party makes a difference too. If your party is smaller, you will fight the same battle as a party of 6 for the same XP.

[ January 06, 2003, 16:55: Message edited by: IaaA? ]

9. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

If you have good strategies, no battle will prove too difficult for you.
    For me, the strategy is very simple. Create an unvulnerable decoy and attack from a range safely while monsters trying to kill your decoy. The only way to create an unvulnerable decoy is OTİLUKE'S RESILIENT SPHERE, I guess. Cast it on your decoy (summon is preferable), then cast area effective spells.
    This will not work for a minority of battles you will encounter in game.

10. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In my case, the toughest battle (non-Heart of Fury) would be a draw between these two:

In the underdark, when you provoke the Mind Flayer in front of the citadel, I was having my hands full with all his cronies when all of a sudden the slaves of the Mind Flayer by the pools came up from behind and attacked me. Boy, did I take a whupping there...

The second one would have to be the initial fight with Isair and Madae in the Severed Hand, just before they teleport away to the pool. I initially didn't catch on that there was a summoner off to the right, out of sight (hey, that rhymed...) and he summoned all kinds of nasties to slap me around like a little girl. It took me a reload to figure out who was doing that to me.

11. Rekiller Gems: 5/31

I´m in the chapter 3 in the fell wood, and my most dificult battle was against the cridtal golems in the ice wall.

12. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I deleted this post.

[ January 27, 2003, 12:22: Message edited by: Anakha the Almighty ]

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The hardest for me was either Gorstag, the half-dragon, and the guardian.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.