1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Was Your Favorite Baldur’s Gate 2 Party EVER?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Marceror, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Exactly the party I had for my second run-through. Great fun. I also can't remember what PC I had, but like you said it doesn't matter 'cause the other four can handle anything.

2. Phantasy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My PC can be a druid with a evil group because..well I made the choice to be evil after starting. I'm not exactly role playing..just wanted to see the interactions of these characters because I never have. So I'm staying in the middle..not too good or bad. Just enough to keep everyone happy. :)

3. BG senior Gems: 1/31

Harm-ing party

I just registered after I tried this party. If you know it already, simply skip it. :confused:

You can have good fun with priest spell HARM - it reduces enemies hit point to 1 after succesfully hit with no save! This is fantastic!

So
    PC - bard skald (+4 THACO + 4 def etc.)
    Jan - (mass invisibility, invisible (for interrupting enemies "aim spells" and save party members, invisible circle (+4 THACO)...) with whatever backstabb ergh couchhhhh staff of ram
    Anomen - best cleric with whatever AC
    Viconia - "best-er" cleric :) with whatever AC
    Mazzy - (finisher) with bows to fast kill 1 HP creatures + silver blade

...just imagine the fun

---------- Added 0 hours, 7 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

enemy spotted, jan invisibling party, bard starting to sing, anomen and viconia casting harm, mazzy speed up herself. After revealing party 3 enemies are immediatly dead with THACO + 8 and Jans backtabbing.

4. ChazStandard Gems: 1/31

I've played through too many times...try and do it differently each. Surprisingly fun was my "do gooder" party.

PC - Cavalier
    Saerileth - Mod NPC, annoying sometimes but must have in a good-two-shoes group. Mod fits in nicely, even if her thees and thous get tedious.
    Anomen...Sir Anomen, of course. Ego as big as his beard, but generally fun.
    Imoen - not technically lawful-good, but a Cavalier would never abandon lil Sis.
    Kelsay - GREAT mod, loved his relationship with Imoen. Fits in the game perfectly.
    Dexter the Jester - the Cavalier's loyal bard. Mysterious back story, made a unique item for him. Was great fun. Was going to be my first NPC mod but I got sidetracked and never finished him.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Latest fun-filled parties:

BG:
    Maëlla - Female, Half-Elf, Lawful Good, Conjurer
    Imoen - Dualed to Illusionist at level 4
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Kivan
    Yeslick

BG2:
    Maëlla
    Anomen (Love interest. Seeks revenge for his sister and fails his test.)
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Imoen (Yoshimo until Spellhold)
    Valygar ---> Sarevok

Fun thing was to role-play my PC to start out as a Lawful Good wide-eyed idealist who turns more and more "practical" over the course of the game, picks a couple of the evil paths in Hell at the end of SoA, and finally chooses to become the new evil goddess of murder. :angel: --> :evil:

6. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

I use Level 1 NPCs mod a fair bit.
    Abdel Adrain: Palaldin (Undead Hunter)
    Minsc, later replaced by Keldorn.
    Anomen
    Jaheira
    Nalia, then Yoshimo, later replaced by Imoen
    Aerie, turned into a single class Sorceror
    I may turn Jaheira into a single class Human Fighter then dual class her to a Druid.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Photar Sunthunder - NG cleric/ranger (or cleric of Lathander). Dual wielding flails (Ages), maces (Disruption) and Hammers (Crom), this tainted soul is the bane of any undead that's not called Gaxx.

Aerie - The Spouse: This insecure cutie single-handedly cracked a demi-lich's skull open with the Staff of Rynn, while all other people were either imprisoned or dead.

Minsc - The Whirling Blade: When Lilarcor suggested to "go whack something eeeeevil", this miniature giant space madman ran off to slaughter a cabal of Mind Flayers. His Witch was just in time to protect his puny mind.

Keldorn - The Knighty: When the madman can't stop his fury, this shiny brother-in-arms will do it for him, except when The Spouse is about to die, which is... always (apart from that time she cracked Mr.G-unit's skull.)

Jan Jansen - The Cheeky: Lots of stories, lots of gadgets, lots of utilities, lots of fun! Eh knighty? And apparently lots of rodent affinity.

Nalia - The Rich: Eh... I dunno... She's a young noble willing to do something good. Lathander likes that... Reason enough?

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Personally I think that would be less fun and less powerful. At low levels Jaheira levels quickly as a druid and her spells are useful to the party for healing. At mid-high levels are druid powers stall but by then she has more than enough fighter power to be a great tank. At high levels she is a great tank with access to spells and better HLAs. Remember as a dual class druid you will run out of good HLA options fairly early where a multiclass druid would have access to the nice fighter abilities. If you don't have a mod improving grand mastery it is definitely not worth it and even if you do a multiclass is probably still better overall due to HLAs.

9. Lasivern Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Bit of a necro, but here's my favorite party;

Me as a female 1/2 Elven Blade, the tank [romancing Imoen, love that mod]

Imoen
    Aerie
    Nalia
    Jaheira
    Viconia [my "cheat" - SK'd to TN to avoid the "leaving on high Rep" effect]

With a Blade as the Tank, I don't need any other fighter types, so it's basically spell-slinging all the way. :)

While Immy was away, I used her slot for various NPCs and their personal quests - had every single stock NPC in the party at one time or another.

Also in this run through, only the PC could do damage to enemies, the others could only cast non-damage inflicting spells, like buffs, disabling spells or defence take-downs - so no Fireballs or Holy Smites, etc, from the party members. Big fun! :)

10. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I started a separate thread about megamod character choices, but I'll list my old favourites here:

Fighter/Mage/Cleric protagonist. I didn't like the cleric weapon restrictions, so next time I'll use f/m/thief instead of cleric for this.
    Imoen, the little sister that can do stealthy stuff. One of the most memorable characters.
    Minsc, for a high-STR unit with funny character. Even though he isn't the most efficient choice, I think I'll bring him along again.
    Jaheira, a fighter/druid that fights just as well as Minsc, if not better. Better spells too.
    Edwin, I loved the amulet that gives him +2 spells/level, but he is only single class. In a megamod, there are so many things a single class mage misses out on. And there were even overpowered items that rivaled his necklace which he couldn't use.
    Viconia, although I liked the drow theme, wasn't up to scratch. Single class, weapon restrictions, and cleric isn't too vital when you have a Ranger, F/Druid and F/M/Cleric, and don't need that much healing.

I think next run, Edwin and Viconia are out for sure. A paladin might be interesting, but I have my eyes fixed on Jan and Aerie. Coran, Tiax, and Yeslick are interesting too, so maybe Immie and Minsc will not make the team...

11. Bjourtra Gems: 1/31

Blade(main)
    Haer dalis
    Imoen

The blade took down everything and Imoen helped with magic

---------- Added 0 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds later... ----------

Or for a multiplayer game;
    Avenger (16) dual to fighter
    Swashbuckler(25) dual to cleric
    Blade
    Imoen

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I always gotta have Jaheira and Imoen, the rest, I guess, can be pretty variable, though storywise it's probably hard to justify leaving Aerie or Nalia behind. For the remaining slot Minsc is a strong contender as a BG1 pal, which probably seals the deal, realistically speaking. Otherwise Mazzy, Valygar and Keldorn are cool to hang around with. But it's more of a question of whom you just can't leave behind than who's cool to have.

13. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Edwin, Viconia. From BG1 to Throne of Bhaal with the trilogy megamod.
    I liked them so much, I replayed it and simply used an editing mod to get them into the multiclasses I wanted:
    Charname Fighter/Swashbuckler/Mage
    Minsc Stalker/Cleric
    Jaheira Fighter/Avenger
    Imoen Assassin/Mage
    Edwin Assassin/Mage
    Viconia Fighter/Priest of Talos/Mage

14. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Korgan
    Viccy
    Yoshi
    (all NPC's vanilla)
    PC(Spellshaper) Wildmage kit; Dropping a Cow on people you dislike...the epic kind of awesome.

Wouldn't believe how effective this party-of-four-combo was.

15. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since I had already beaten the game fair and square before, I took some inspiration from some of the other posts in this thread, and allowed myself a few creative liberties with the classes and stats in my last BG2 playthrough.

I set myself these rules:
    • Characters may have any class combination supported by the game engine, without restrictions (even kitted multi-classes, and dual-classes with a kit in the 2nd class).
    • Every character gets 88 stat points to distribute (but no dumping stats below 9, and no dumping CHA too much since they're not supposed to be ugly)

Also, since my previous few cRPG games were sort of male-dominated, I though it would be fun to make it an all-women party. This is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

In an unmodded game, this party would have been totally overpowered (especially since, as a small party, they gained XP quicker), but I installed SCS (most of the "improved AI" and "tactical challenges" components) and Tactics (a few select components that were missing from SCS), which sort of balanced it out.

The party members complemented each other really well in combat, and were lots of fun to play as a group! :D

PS: It turns out Aerie is much less annoying when you're playing a female PC... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
    Marceror likes this.
  16. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Using a two-handed sword or a sword and shield kind of defeats the point of picking Swashbuckler as a kit, don't you think?

17. occam Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My most powerful party was undoubtedly:

Protagonist: Elven F/M (Lawful Good) with Celestial Fury+Daystar/Equalizer in Soa and Axe of the Unyelding+Flail of the Ages in ToB.
    Imoen, dualclassed to Mage at level 9.
    Jaheira, with the best dagger available till she got the Spectral Brand (and a good shield). And Insect Plague.
    Keldorn with Carsomyr.
    Minsc, good in BG1, bit of a load in SoA, monstrously awesome with the Ravager in ToB.
    Viconia with Crom Faeyr/the best sling available+the best shield and the Girdle of Fortitude. Lots of Chaotic Commands, Heals, and other useful Cleric Stuff. Had to cheat to get her into a party with Keldorn. Anomen pisses me off too much.

But the party that I remember most fondly is my first one:

Protagonist: Human Cavalier with Carsomyr. No poison or fear problems thorought the games, a lot of brute force and, of course, Greater Whirlwind.
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Mazzy. Felt that taking Keldorn with a Paladin in my party was unwise, and having him dual wielding Foebane+Purifier sounded a bit dangerous to his health. Gave her Crom Faeyr and Flail of the Ages, because most shortswords suck, and I already had the bows covered with Imoen and Minsc. A very decent tank, didn't need a lot of micromanagement.
    Aerie. Would not do that again, due to her pathetic health and slow leveling (couldn't even get her her Holy Symbol). But I needed a cleric, felt that another magic user would have been useful, and she served her purpose (cast buffs and run the **** out of enemy sight). The alternatives were Viconia (and I wasn't ready to dabble with evil yet) Anomen (really really annoying) and Cernd (think he's the worst NPS in the game).

Feel ready for another Cavalier run, but I'll probably swap Mazzy and Aerie with two from Valygar/Viconia/Nalia (probably the first two, although surviving until Spellhold without a Mage is going to be... less than ideal).

18. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ineth, point me to those nice portraits.

19. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nah, it was still worth it, since dualing to fighter pretty much cancels out the disadvantages of the Swashbuckler kit (except for the missing backstab multiplier, but I didn't intend to use the character for backstabbing anyway).

Basically, it gave me a fighter with a few points of innate armor class bonus (which is a big deal in the first half of SoA) as well as the ability to use thieving abilities (so she could be the party's scout and trap disarmer), at the cost of a little XP that is negligible in the grander scheme of things (due to the exponential XP curve).

Despite the "can put 3 points in dual-wielding" bonus that Swashbucklers get, I don't actually think her damage output would have been higher if I had let her dual-wield instead of going with two-handed weapon style. Maybe it's because I played with the Item Revisions mod, but two-handed swords (with grandmastery) turned out to be very powerful (despite not being able to wield Carsomyr), and she actually got a good number of attacks per round by the end of the game. Not to mention that at high levels, the Greater Whirlwind HLA is super deadly in combination with two-handed weapons.

The following three are found in Enkida's Portrait Pack :

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The latter two are meant for mod NPCs (Tashia and Xulaye respectively), but I thought they were a good fit for Aerie + protagonist, too... :)

As for the following two portraits, I made them for my own use from existing art:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For the Jaheira portrait, I started with the above portrait by Enkida, and changed the hair color to something I think fits her better (plus some slight change to the overall color tone as well).
    The Tyris one I cropped from official Tyris Flare promo art, and adjusted the colors to lessen the red tint and increase the contrast between foreground and background. The Tyris Flare mod I used this with, actually already includes a similar portrait by default, but without the color correction so it looks kind of jarring next to the built-in portraits.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
    Darion likes this.
  20. Viconia9 Gems: 1/31

My fav party of all time is:

Aribeth (pc)-Dual-classed Priest of Lathander/Mage Neutral Good

Minsc-Ranger front line fighter mainly using 2 handed swords

Mazzy front line fighter (later swaped for Chaotic Good Sarevok

Sir Anomen-(romance) front line fighter and main cleric

Yoshimo/Imoen-main thief and Imoen as mage as well

Aerie-cleric and mage

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.