1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What was the first PC game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kitrax, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I think it was Command and Conquer. I didn't really like it that much. Caesar II was much more fun. That brings me to the first game I owned: Caesar III. (always played with friends at first)

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I forgot about paratrooper and alleycat. That must've been before civ.

4. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Command and Conquer.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Omega Race. That is, if the Commodore Vic 20 counts as a PC.

6. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

First PC game... that takes me back. Had to have been a game called Stellar 7, a 3D space-shooter in which you piloted some sort of vehicle against hordes of vile robots. Its graphics were state-of-the-art at the time, of course, but with current technology it could probably be made in Flash :p

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmm... the first game I played on what they called an IBM was Gods and maybe Galactix.

But I played many many games on my Apple ][ before that, including Oregon Trail. I think I first got hooked on those Apple computer games was back in grade 2... sometime around 1991. The list of games is huge; I don't even remember the first.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Very first PC game I played was the gold box version of Pool of Radiance. That was on a i386 PC running at a whopping 16 Mhz. It had a whole 1MB of RAM, which I bumped up to 4 megs, and a 20 MB hard dirve. I think it was 1990.

9. acidX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm pretty sure my first ever PC game was Sokoban (or something alike, a game were you move boxes around levels without getting them stuck).

I basicly started gaming on consoles (nintendo/super nintendo).

Sokoban (and others like Stunts) were on my sisters 386(She got a PC for her schoolwork, I was 8 and was barely allowed to tough it).

When I got a pentium for my schoolwork, The first CDROM game I bought was just out, namely space quest 6. (It made my console games look like childtoys... I am something of science fiction freak so this game really made me laugh alot since I understood all the jokes in the game).

10. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

mythology

cosisted of a little green dot on a lighter green screen that tried to get through a maze.

can't remember the computer but it was my grandma's and looked like a tv screen with a little disk drive in it but no hard drive

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  11. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Gradius, in my cousin's old MSX.

In my own first computer, it was Heimdall 2.

12. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Dungeon keeper, and it was in french. Had a blast with it though. Ah, where did those times go :)

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Not sure anymore wheter it was Settlers 2 or some game about the American Civil war.

Gaming sure has come a long way since those days, graphicwise. :)

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

We are going way to far back for me to be sure but it would probably be archery or bouncing babies - and we are talking mid 80s with good old pre-windows DOS (If I had to guess I would say version 3) as an operating system. If you count the Adam as a P.C. (personally I wouldn't but it would run basic and lotus 123) then my first computer game would have been Buck Rogers.

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Pac Man !!! (does that count?)
    Back in school we used to get to play some dinky little game like shoot-the-bricks during comp class practicals.

I had Windows 3.1 on my first comp and played Prince of Persia (B&W in 2D, remember?).

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Of course Pacman counts. Pacman ruled because it only involved a joystick but no buttons. Not like today's games that use 27.5 buttons and you need 3 sets of hands to play them properly.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

As long as you played Pacman on the PC instead of on an arcade machine then sure it counts. Of course playing Pacman (or Donkey Kong for that matter) on anything but the original style arcade machine is an absolute no-no. :shake:

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let me see....

Pong on an Atari...no doesn't count.

There were a few games on a trash-80 I've finally succeeded at forgetting.

Leather Goddesses of Phobos -- that would be it. Never finished it. Then there was all the solitaire games and minesweep....

I think the original Pools of Radiance was the first PC game that actually interested me enough to play all the way through.

19. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, I have no real idea which one came first for me: either Pac Man (no, no joystick, pure with arrow keys on keyboard) or Space Invaders (you know, that very old shooter with the aliens going from right to left, shifting one line down when hitting one side and you had to shoot them to prevent them reaching the bottom). And for your information, this was all on Dos, some old version that hadn't windows yet. It was actually some kind of portable computer from my dad's work (I don't even dare call it a laptop :p ) and after that I moved on (still with those and some other games to a 386. I have been in touch with and on comps from when I was able to make a link between the arrows on the keyboard and what happens to my little character on screen, which is a very early age ;) . I was glad to have a dad kind of obsessed with comps and working for comp company.

20. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hmmm...the old monochrome AT.

Thexder, or some weird dungeon exploration game that always ended with me dying as a room filled with water.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.