1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What RPGs are you anticipating most (2009-20??)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by hannibal555, Feb 14, 2009.

1. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I mostly find myself falling back to playing old games despite buying a new one sometimes.
    Some new ones are entertaining (Mass Effect) or ok (Drakensang, NWN2 + expansions), but I find it more fun playing Diablo, Infinity games or some 16 Bit Console classic.

Nevertheless I have high hopes for Dragon Age.

A second RPG which got my attention a few month ago, is the Alien RPG by Obsidian.Thogh it seems, it might be a victim to Sega rigorously cutting in a wide area (http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=51625).

Diablo III looks impressing so far, too.

What are your anticipations, hopes, impressions?
    Maybe there are some jewels I am not aware of?

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The remake of Ultima 6. I keep having high hopes for "new games", but are allways left disapointed. So this year I will stick with being pleasantly surprised by new ones, instead of having my high hopes crushed.

3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    :lol:
    fair enough.
    So which ones might have the slightest chance to pleasantly surprise you? :p

Well, it is not that I have high hopes either (besides DA, yeah I can't deny that :/), but it is nice, imho, to hang out on game sites whose games could be at least worthwile to play once.
    I am just so bored to replay my old games for the tenth time (though it's still fun ^^).

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Try the remake of ultima 5. Can get it for free online. Graphics is on par with nwn1, i would say. Lots of NPC`s to add to your party as well. u5lazarus.com I belive the site is.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

So far only Dragon Age and Diablo III. Like Rawgrim, no new RPG's have for me ever reached anywhere near the heights of BG; so I don't have much optimism of that changing anytime soon. The fact that Dragon Age is being released on console makes me doubt whether it is going to even slightly fill the role of BG's 'spiritual sucessor'. Sadly I doubt we will see anything like that for a long time to come, there seems to be little room for RPG's in the modern gaming market, even Mass Effect had to be made as close to a FPS as possible to make it stand a chance in the mainstream market. Whilst Fallout 3 went the full hog.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Diablo III a role-playing game? Maybe if you add action in front, even then it is quite minimal in role-playing.

That being said, it does not look that good on the CRPG front. DA:O is on top of the list of course and both of the new Obsidian projects (Alpha Protocol and Alien RPG). But the Obsidian games are a big question mark at this time. Also I am quite excitedly waiting for the next game from CD Projekt, since The Witcher was *the* CRPG of 2007/2008. No idea what they are going to make though.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sega's just cancelled the Aliens RPG...

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Diablo 3 isn`t a roleplaying game. Not by a long-shot. I kind of had hopes for the alien rpg though. Too bad it got canceled.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Bah, I read somewhere that it might get cancelled. Oh well... hopefully that other project will turn into something great then.

10. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    The whole situation around the Alien RPG is pretty sad.
    I used to lurk in Obsidians forums now and then, and it seemed the devs were especially proud how the Alien game turned out.
    Alpha Protocol could be a surprise (and for the sake of the Obsidian team I hope it is) but I was kind of looking forward to the Alien RPG.

Oh, and concerning the Diablo franchise.
    I know it isn't comparable to Biowares old crpgs...or other ROLEplaying games.
    Nonetheless I find them fun on their own way, and though lightweight on the story and roleplay side, they are pretty good in other departments.
    Being a stat, skill and level based game I put them in the RPG genre, too, having a broader aproach to the definition than others, maybe.

edit:
    @Rawgrim
    I looked at the remake site of Ultima 5, but I am not impressed.
    As a matter of fact I find the classic version artistically more appealing, but I have to admit such things will always be a matter of taste.
    I tried to play Ultima 7 under DosBox but it runs very bad, and I have a pretty high end machine.
    Wouldn't it be for this, I think I'd still play it. I started PC gaming with Diablo 1 // Baldur's Gate so I missed out on these gems :/.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

You need to run Ultima 7 om Exult. Its an emulator made for ultima 7, to make it run in XP. It runs poorly in Dosbox.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Drakensang is due to be released any day. That is a BG type game. There is an English demo so go find out. I played the german demo and was pleased.

13. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Oh right, Drakensang, somehow I completely forgot about that one. I have yet to try out the demo.

As a newcomer, Mass Effect 2 shall go on the list as well.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'd like to see what some company can do with the 4e rule set for D&D...

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Drakensang is set for the first week of march.

Dragon age is postponed to whenever. Mass Effect 2 is set for 2010. No. I am not falling for that again, Bioware, I will imagine the extra 1 to q4 2011. A bit sad.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm looking forward to Dragon Age, and Drakensang looks pretty cool (I only recently heard about it, but hey - 20 million Germans can't be wrong...er, wait).

I'm ambivilant about the new Star Wars: Old Replublic MMORPG. I wish they'd just made it into KotOR3 as originally planned. I'm not a fan of MMO's, at all. Especially if you have to pay to play, which I'm pretty sure SW:TOR will be.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to the two Fallout 3 sequels, and Diablo 3 (though I don't consider that an RPG).

17. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Mainly Dragon Age and Mass Effect but Drakensang looks interesting to.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just read a few reviews for Drakensang. Not so hot. Oh well, there's plenty of other titles to look forward to.

19. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I just finished the Drakensang demo, seemed like a typical average fantasy RPG, just like the game system it is based on, unfortunately. Add some control and camera issues to the mix. It is still interesting enough that I might get it at some point, depending on the response it gets.

As for other anticipated games, Gothic 4 might be one. I did not like the previous ones, but this one is being developed by another company (Spellbound), so it might be something different.

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Dragon Age, Fable 2 for PC (if it ever hits), NWN2 Mystery of Westgate, and White Knight for PS3 if they ever decide to make the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.